What rat food do you use? When to start Adult mix?

Discussions relating to feeding rats, types of food, supplements, and problems relating to eating.
HaleCry

What rat food do you use? When to start Adult mix?

Post by HaleCry » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:36 pm

Basically what the question says...
What rat food do you use?
Where do you get it from?
How much is it?
And how long does it usually last (depends on how many rats you have I suppose...)?
Mummy to seven gorgeous boys :D
- Bilbo, Samwise, Frodo, Baggins, Meriadoc, Pippin, Legolas

ElizabethW

Re: What rat food do you use?

Post by ElizabethW » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:09 pm

I use the complete mixes from RatRations as I don't yet feel confident enough to make up my own mixes. I usually alternate between them to give the rats some variety. Because of the way their postage works, I usually buy 10kg of food at a time as I find it more economical to do it that way. I empty out a large tubful to use straight away and pop the rest in the freezer (you'd be fine keeping it in a cool dark place instead, it's just that all suitable cubby holes I have are filled with 'stuff' :roll: )

That amount of food costs me around £30ish, and it lasts around four months with six rats :)
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

HaleCry

Post by HaleCry » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanks for replying! Which ratrations mix do you get out of curiosity?

That's were I was originally looking, but I don't know how long I'd need to get the 'mums and babies' mix for before I could get the adult rat one. As my boys will be 6 weeks when I get them.

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:57 pm

I alternate between the 'no garlic' No7 mixes (ours don't like the garlicky ones) and any of the No11 mixes.
I'm not sure at what age your boys could have the Adult mixes so I'll leave someone else to answer that for you :)
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:13 pm

I make my own mix from ingredients I get in local shops. (If you live near any Eastern European, Asian, or African/Caribbean supermarkets, their dry goods sections can be really useful!) I have no idea how much it's costing me as I buy ingredients in bits and bobs as needed; I should probably work that out one of these days... :P My 3 girls go through 5kg of mix about every 4 months, so about the same rate per rat as ElizabethW. I keep everything in a big plastic airtight barrel that I got off Amazon; I think they're designed for transporting food/water but they're also good at keeping dry foods fresh and weevil-free.

The Scuttling Gourmet suggests you can transition rats onto a largely adult diet by the time they're 10 weeks old, though I've read elsewhere (probably somewhere on this forum) that rats from poor backgrounds benefit from a few more weeks than that of higher protein food. So depending on background you'd be looking at 1-2 months of baby-suitable food if you're getting them at 6 weeks. I was advised to feed an adult-suitable dry mix and provide higher protein fresh food (e.g. eggs, fish, meat) alongside their fresh veg, so that I wouldn't have to have two different dry mixes and also so that I could slowly taper off the higher protein extras as they grow up rather than switching suddenly from a baby food to adult food. If you're getting your rats from a breeder, they should be able to advise you as to what their rats are used to getting.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

HaleCry

Post by HaleCry » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:04 pm

Thanks guys!!

Just ordered RR no9 no garlic mums and babies (3kg so should last a couple of months).
I also bought no7 with egg biscuit and no garlic (for when they're older),
Harrison's banana brunch to mix in,
And I also got the daily rat3 supplement.

Anyone know how often I give the supplement? (It will be for three baby boys).

HaleCry

When can they have adult mix?

Post by HaleCry » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Note: thread merged with your other food one to prevent unnecessary repetition.

Does anyone know what age my rats can have an 'adult mix' from ratrations?

I've bought the 'mums and babies mix', so that should last a few months, and have also bought the adult one (no7 egg biscuit no garlic) for when they're older, but was wondering at what age I can start to switch?
I have also bought Harrison's banana brunch to mix in, is this okay for babies, or just for adults? :?
I also bought Dailyrat3 as a supplement, does anyone else use this? How often, and how do I give it to them? I don't want to put it in their water as I used to have a supplement for my snakes, and they went off their water because I put it in there, so can you put it on food?

Sorry for all the questions!! :lol:

NellyNoodle

Re: When can they have adult mix?

Post by NellyNoodle » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:23 pm

Daily rat 3 doesn't work in water, you have to give it on damp fresh food. I would go for 4 times a week or less if you're using more Harrison's banana brunch in the mix.

In terms of mixes, I would start phasing from one to the other between 10 and 12 weeks. With my kittens they have dry mix with extra protein and wet protein meals until about 8 weeks and then I switch to regular mix and gradually decrease the set meals.

HaleCry

Post by HaleCry » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:29 pm

Ah! Sorry, my mistake.
It's the other one that can be dissolved in water. Thanks for your reply :)

Tori30

Post by Tori30 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:35 pm

Mine get adult kidney friendly mix from when I bring them home, but I give them extra fresh protein for a few weeks.
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

Jemma
Fancy Rats Team

Re: What rat food do you use? When to start Adult mix?

Post by Jemma » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:53 am

i make up my own mix which i really should make an up to date post on. it's based on mixed flakes and particularly nice pigeon food and i mix it 50 50 with Harrison's banana brunch.

in terms of when i start them on adult food, that's from when they move in with there adult cage mates around 7 to 8 weeks. however this isn't it. at this age they can often have growth spurts which means they have higher requirements. i will give them extra high protien wet food when they need it. this avoids over feeding which can lead to a tendency to become overweight later in life. i use there tails and coat condition to tell me when they need it. as they hit a spurt the body uses the nutrients that would usually go into tail muscle and coat shedding and regrowth to help them grow. this means that the tail often gets a square edge to it. the coat also gets scruffy and long especially around the rump. this is them asking for more for a week or so. i then give them 2 or 3 meals a week away from the group and see how they do. they also often get a bit skinny too and feel kind of stretched.

in the meantime i tend to give them high protien treats like kibble and kitten treats which help top them up a bit

Return to “Feeding”