Why do you use FR?

All questions, problems and suggestions about the way the forum works
Hobbit Stealer

Re: Why do you use FR?

Post by Hobbit Stealer » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:04 pm

Message boards I find are much for useful for a catalogue of information - you can search posts, they're organised better, you can find things, they're grouped together etc. FB groups don't have that. Posts get lost. Also for me, FB rat groups tend to collapse into whiny drama after a certain period of time, a large forum like this is better moderated with less gossip and pettiness. Having such a massive amount of members sort of dilutes issues like that :mrgreen:
Formerly known as Hobbit Stealer

Ratmum to Bilbo, Pip, Milo, Iroh and Zuko. 2 Lady Gerbils - Gandalf and Radagast. Baby Spider - Shelob <3
Loved&Lost: All my sweet boys... missed dearly <3

NellyNoodle

Post by NellyNoodle » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:22 pm

ElizabethW wrote:
NellyNoodle wrote: I'd rather be actually interacting with people. Many of my favourite peeps from on here are also fb friends and/or nfrs members, and because I show I have a lot of 'real life' interaction with rat people. I'm not really sure what would make me spend more time on fr so I'm probably the wrong person to ask though! I'm not sure I'm still the target market?
This is where FR is so important to me. I'm a stay at home mum; neither my husband nor me drive or own a car. I don't have a busy social life and tend to be quite shy. We live in West Wales, where there is very little going on rat-wise and no registered breeders. We can't afford to travel much, so I've never been to a rat show and have never actually met anyone else who keeps rats. This forum is the only contact I have with other rat lovers and I'd be completely lost without it.

I'm still very novice when it comes to keeping rats so sometimes don't feel very confident with answering posts, but when I do and it helps somebody out it's a great feeling...I really want to be able to give something back, even if it's only a little and that encourages me to keep learning.
I'm about to move to the Forest of Dean and become a stay at home mum, so I'll probably end up on here more too ;)

RatBubble

Post by RatBubble » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:30 am

NellyNoodle wrote:
I'm about to move to the Forest of Dean and become a stay at home mum, so I'll probably end up on here more too ;)
Stones throw away, it's beautiful there!
Four beautiful girls, Lady B, Meow (MaoMao), Miss Winnie & Jinx

Kristal

Post by Kristal » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:07 am

I love this forum as it is full of very knowledgable people who are happy to give advice which I know I can trust. I have learned a huge amount just by hanging around on here reading posts, it's like an intensive course on rat keeping. I like that there is quite a strict ethical policy on here that makes very clear what is acceptable practice.
I did join a couple of the big rat groups on FB but ended up leaving, it was quite a frustrating experience to see some really shoddy advice being given and general misinformation. I had someone on there with an enormous ego insisting that rats should be fed ad lib and food not restricted at all because 'rats won't get fat on good nutritious food'.
If I come accross someone wanting advice on any aspect of rat keeping I point them in the direction of this forum or link to relevent articles on here.
Pippin, Willow and Rowan x
RIP Merry, Summer and Storm xxx

starstar

Post by starstar » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:07 am

The best thing about this forum is the excellent moderator team. I have never seen in the two years I have been on here any trolling/nastiness etc.
Ferret mum to..
Millie, Eddie, Riffraff & Fizzgig, Baloo, Dillon, Rupert, Pookie, Rosie, Buck, Kira, Louis and Lilly "Of the Clan Macphearson"
Dearly departed Mario and Taz, Luigi and Loki x forever in our hearts ratty babies x
Departed Ferret babies: Milo & Sam

NellyNoodle

Post by NellyNoodle » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:12 pm

starstar wrote:The best thing about this forum is the excellent moderator team. I have never seen in the two years I have been on here any trolling/nastiness etc.
Did you miss Wormtail!? :P There have actually been a couple of incidents of trolling/people making multiple threads but not taking on board any advice, which I think really knocked the morale of some of the more experienced members and spoiled the FR experience somewhat. However I think these are largely dealt with very well by mods.

starstar

Post by starstar » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:29 pm

NellyNoodle wrote:
starstar wrote:The best thing about this forum is the excellent moderator team. I have never seen in the two years I have been on here any trolling/nastiness etc.
Did you miss Wormtail!? :P There have actually been a couple of incidents of trolling/people making multiple threads but not taking on board any advice, which I think really knocked the morale of some of the more experienced members and spoiled the FR experience somewhat. However I think these are largely dealt with very well by mods.

:lol: I guess I did miss that then!
Ferret mum to..
Millie, Eddie, Riffraff & Fizzgig, Baloo, Dillon, Rupert, Pookie, Rosie, Buck, Kira, Louis and Lilly "Of the Clan Macphearson"
Dearly departed Mario and Taz, Luigi and Loki x forever in our hearts ratty babies x
Departed Ferret babies: Milo & Sam

alijane

Post by alijane » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 pm

starstar wrote:
NellyNoodle wrote:

:lol: I guess I did miss that then!
But s/he was dealt with very firmly ... it was like Reservoir Mods :lol:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:36 pm

alijane wrote: ... it was like Reservoir Mods :lol:
:lol:

Thank you everyone for your input, you've given us some good points to highlight when promoting FR. :luck:

We may unfortunately end up attracting more trolls than normal in the short term, but with our recently expanded admin team we should be able to deal with them quickly. It'll be worth it if we can also attract genuine new members too.

Return to “Forum help”