Discussions relating to Hantavirus *Poll Added 6th April*

All questions, problems and suggestions about the way the forum works

Would you be interested in hantavirus testing?

No
13%
Yes, in the North
28%
Yes, in the Midlands
14%
Yes, in the South West
8%
Yes, in the South East
30%
Yes, anywhere
8%

Total votes: 64

Heather R

Re: Discussions relating to Hantavirus *Poll Added 6th April

Post by Heather R » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks Mary. I couldn't remember which section this thread was in, I found it in my 'your posts'.

Hope all is well at Zephyr HQ :-)
Heather x
:rattyrainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger, George, Dylan, Marley, Archie, Ewan, Charley, Milo, Mitch, Bruce, Dale, Timmy, Arthur, Basil and Moe :dumborainbow:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:57 pm

We're all fine thanks :)

Testing sessions have now been arranged for November - details are in the announcement.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:40 am

I shall be at the Tempsford session (hopefully) - anyone else?

shiprat

Post by shiprat » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:58 am

I'll be there.
Rat Out of Hell Rescue.

KateR

Post by KateR » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:42 am

We are arranging fun events for the Sowood session, and will post details in due course. There's also a Facebook event page https://www.facebook.com/events/5361505 ... ts&fref=ts
Mummy to the Rattray Stud rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 164 ratty angels.
http://www.rattraystud.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.org.uk/

Jem Q

Post by Jem Q » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:27 pm

cyber ratty wrote:I shall be at the Tempsford session (hopefully) - anyone else?
Mee.
It'll count towards the quota of blood which needs to be spilled in Bedfordshire every year..

NellyNoodle

Post by NellyNoodle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Me too. Apparently I have to give a report! *wibbles*

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:59 pm

Unfortunately I can't make either session as I work Saturday's and I have no more holiday left this year. Shame, would like to have contributed to the study!
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:53 pm

If they don't get their 300 from those two sessions, they may organise more. ;)

KateR

Post by KateR » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Reply to the further questions:

1 - will you be able to test children (we have a mum of a 3 year old asking)? To be eligible for the study, volunteers need to be a (fancy) rat owner and be aged 18 years or older (the ethical approval we have for this study only allows volunteers to be 18 or over)

2 - there is a lot of disappointment that individual results won't be available so would it be possible to do the original bloods using the HPA form at the same time as your bloods and send both lots off so people can get their own? The ethics committee decision was that we do the study anonymously and doing parallel samples as you suggest in the same study framework in effect partly subverts this, so unfortunately this won’t be possible. Aggregate results will be available so volunteers will be able to find out what the overall proportion of infection was in this group.

3 - would it be possible to post in samples? There are some people who can't get to the days but would like to take part so I could do their bloods and post them in but I don't know how quickly they need processing etc. We are keen to sample as many people as possible as it will obviously increase the accuracy of any findings. It would be great if you would be willing to take the bloods of people who want to volunteer but aren’t able to attend on 9th (or the AGM on 23rd). The 2 issues which we need to give a little thought to are: timely transport of samples and how we complete the questionnaire. With regards to transport of samples, we would need to know in advance of any blood being taken (preferably the day before) so that we could arrange a courier to pick up the samples (it would be particularly good if a batch of individuals could be done on the same day so that all their samples could be couriered together). You would need to get informed consent from each volunteer (we have a participant sheet they will need to read and a consent form to sign which we can provide you with). The second issue is how to complete the questionnaire for these people (given that the bloods have to be linked to the questionnaire and we aren’t allowed to know any personal information). Obviously we would be willing to do this over the phone, however this would affect the anonymity of the study (as we would have their phone number and name etc), we could either get round this by requesting the volunteer call us and they give us a unique ID number which you will have given them when they gave blood and will also have put on the specimen bottle (so we can match the bloods with the questionnaire) or it may be suitable for a research nurse to do the questionnaire, we will need to check. We can give this a little more thought, but it would definitely be good to try to test as many people who are willing to volunteer as possible.

4 - would you be interested in urine samples from rats belonging to people who can't get to the testing sessions? Obviously they can't be linked to a blood sample then but it would provide more information as to spread of the virus. We would still be interested in this as it would help to provide information on the overall problem. I’m sure we could provide some extra kits when we come up on the 9th that could be distributed/sent by post etc.

KateR

Post by KateR » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:30 am

The HPA bods want to know roughly how many people to expect at the Halifax session so they know how many nurses to send, so can you please let me know if you plan on coming, thanks.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:37 am

A poll has been added here to provide an idea of numbers for the HPA - but please don't vote if you are being counted elsewhere!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:34 pm

It should now be possible to use the poll! (I've had to unlock that thread - but please don't post any replies on it ;) )

Muddiwarx

Post by Muddiwarx » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:24 am

I am shocked at how few people appear to be making the effort to be tested - the HPA are coming to Halifax to do this for us, I'd love to know why people are choosing not to come.
Surely as rat lovers, we need to prove the hypothesis that our pets are no risk to anyone, and for that we need quantity of people.

The HPA were initially so impressed at the rat fancy - how everyone cared and rallied round - now we look wishy washy and not putting in the real life effort :(

NellyNoodle

Post by NellyNoodle » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:47 am

I expect people just haven't noticed the poll? It's a bit confusing the poll being on the other thread but the discussion being on this thread, I'll be honest.

Return to “Forum help”