Baby rat found outside

A place to talk about the issues that relate to rescues and rescuing, such as quarantine, rehabilitating damaged rats and such like.
acapae_wolf

Baby rat found outside

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:40 pm

*posting with full permission*

Last week Tracey at Primrose Mouse Rescue was contacted by a local vet nurse who had found a pet mouse outside. It turned out to be a baby rat. He's being treated with both ivermectin and panacur, and is in quarantine right now. Is there anything more she should be doing in terms of treating him given where he was found? And also what the advice is re. quarantine considering his very young age?

Any help or linking to past threads would be appreciated :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

izzerie
Admin Aide

Re: Baby rat found outside

Post by izzerie » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:42 pm

They'll want to give him a decent course of reasonable strength coamox as well, for lepto.
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:44 pm

What sort of strength and for how long? I'm linking her to the thread, but she's not really a rat person so won't know details unless given. And it's not like I've ever dealt with this situation before :P
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:14 pm

I've found this thread :)
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23264#p231476

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:16 pm

I think the course should be too weeks long. Dose wise I'm not 100%. Rat health guide suggests a dose of 30-40mg/kg has been successfully used in pet rats but I know doses of 100mg/kg can be use in severe infections. I would probably got for something in the range of 30-40mg/kg tbh.

http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_ ... lanate.php

ETA: You've found better information than me :P
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:07 pm

Thanks though!

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:02 pm

Turns out there were some crossed wires in what info was wanted for me to find out, and he'd already been been on an appropriate level of ABs for a bit :) Tracey started him on them just in case re. the state he came in in, but just coincidentally also suitable for him specifically being found outside. But I still helped with Panacur and other details so it's fine haha. Wins all round!

Return to “Rescue care”