Lots of questions about my new rescues!

A place to talk about the issues that relate to rescues and rescuing, such as quarantine, rehabilitating damaged rats and such like.
Kristal

Lots of questions about my new rescues!

Post by Kristal » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:16 pm

First of all sorry admins for starting a new topic, I couldn't work out how to change the title of the other one to reflect what I'm asking so totally understand if you want to merge them :)
I've just rather unexpectedly taken on a pair of does, 8 months old who were in need of a new home. They weren't deliberately mistreated, the lady was nice and trying her best but was too scared to handle them and had no clue how to care for them properly, so they were living in a small hamster cage with no toys, hammocks or place to hide :cry: I couldn't say no! I have two 8 month old does already, living in a SRS so there will be plenty of room once they can go together. I've currently got them quarantined upstairs in my bedroom away from my other rats. So, questions:

1) One of them is a bit bitey. Not bad at all, she tried to bite me a few times but not hard enough to leave a mark; I didn't react at all, hoping to show her that she can't intimidate or frighten me and she gave up. Is that the right way to handle biting or is there a better way to teach her? I'm not too worried as she was clearly very scared, I 'd probably bite too in her position!

2) The other is a little respy. Overall they seem well but on exertion/when excited she is making a little 'hooting' noise. Would you want to start on antibiotics or wait to see if it clears up/is stress related? Obviously I want it sorted asap before starting introductions.

3) What type of blue is she? :lol: (obviously not an urgent question but interesting!)
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k54 ... slaug9.jpg
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k54 ... mqfk4l.jpg

This is the cage they were living in:
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k54 ... 6pgz6h.jpg
Pippin, Willow and Rowan x
RIP Merry, Summer and Storm xxx

SueN

Re: Lots of questions about my new rescues!

Post by SueN » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:02 pm

She is Russian Blue. Do you know where the lady got them from?
Formerly SuzyN, chief ratroom assistant at Aquarius Stud, breeding for British Blue, Black, British Blue Agouti, Agouti.

http://aquariusrattery.co.uk

Kristal

Post by Kristal » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Thank you. They came from a garden centre/pet shop apparently.
Just been up to check on them and she is hooting away when at rest :-( so I think I'll take her to the vet tomorrow, I'd rather err on the side of caution and give antibiotics sooner rather than later. I'm loathe to terrify them even more by sticking them in a carrier and off to the vets but don't see an alternative really!

shiprat

Post by shiprat » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:30 pm

If she's just making a noise and doesn't otherwise seem poorly I'd give her 24 hours to settle down.
Rat Out of Hell Rescue.

SueN

Post by SueN » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:32 pm

I agree ;)
Formerly SuzyN, chief ratroom assistant at Aquarius Stud, breeding for British Blue, Black, British Blue Agouti, Agouti.

http://aquariusrattery.co.uk

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:04 pm

What beautiful girls. I took on a biter, she only did test bites and today I was free ranging her and realised she hadn't bitten me for a few days. I sometimes 'eeped' when she bit.

Good on you for taking them on.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Kristal

Post by Kristal » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Russian blue, fab; I've not seen one in the flesh before so wasn't at all sure. I know now what's meant by 'heathering' then (photos don't show it up very well do they?), it is much more subtle than agouti ticking and makes her fur look a lovely texture :hearts:

Kristal

Post by Kristal » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:24 pm

:cry: Really falling in love with these girls and they are not well. I've started another topic asking for advice specifically on the myco that they are both apparently suffering with, Storm was still sneezy/snuffly this morning and Summer was looking quite unwell so whisked them both off to the vet.
They are so sweet, even Summer who bit me a few times yesterday has turned out to be a little sweetie and is not biting today. I think her eyesight is not great bless her, she weaves from side to side a bit when trying to focus on something.
Storm has two hearts on her tummy :D
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k54 ... kukcdk.jpg

Kristal

Post by Kristal » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Oh I love these girls :hearts: how they manage to be so sweet when they were very rarely handled I don't know! Summer, the more fragile of the two (yes, the one that was biting initially!) is a little cuddle bug and was bruxing and boggling whilst tucked under my chin straight after having her baytril this morning :smile: I don't get much of that as my girls aren't very cuddly, they're sweet and licky but far too bouncy for cuddles so this is rather lovely. I hope she is OK, since starting antibiotics she has perked up considerably but needs to put on some condition as she is quite skinny and dull coated bless her. She also does an odd trembling/vibrating thing intermittently when I'm holding her, not seen it before; I don't know if she's in season or there's something else going on? Her eyesight isn't great. I guess she might never be a strong rat if she had a bad start but she is adorable :hearts:

beckie2040

Post by beckie2040 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:38 pm

Kristal wrote: They are so sweet, even Summer who bit me a few times yesterday has turned out to be a little sweetie and is not biting today. I think her eyesight is not great bless her, she weaves from side to side a bit when trying to focus on something.
Storm has two hearts on her tummy :D
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k54 ... kukcdk.jpg
Head weaving is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about with pink/red eyes, like you say, she's just trying to focus :)

How cute are those hearts on her tummy though :hearts:

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Kristal wrote:She also does an odd trembling/vibrating thing intermittently when I'm holding her, not seen it before; I don't know if she's in season or there's something else going on?
Vibrating is definitely a sign of being in season; I don't know if it happens at other times though, or what that would mean. Rats generally come into season every 5 days or so, and they seem to stay in season for a day at most? so if it's happening on that sort of timescale that's probably it. Sometimes their vulvae turn a helpful blue/purple colour too, just to make things absolutely clear for the audience. :lol:
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Jemma
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Jemma » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:16 pm

If its happening more often than 1 evening in every 5 ish then it's unlikey to be a heat. Instead when rats are feeling something very intensely such as excitement or nerves they can vibrate. This tends to be when they aren't sure what ti do about it. You see it a fair bit when pet judging young rats who are buzzing with mix of excitement and being a bit overwhelmed

Kristal

Post by Kristal » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:03 am

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k54 ... umlldf.jpg
:hearts: :smile: Summer has turned out to be a bit of a cuddle bug! She loves to just snuggle on my shoulder. I think the trembling/vibrating is nerves as she's not used to a lot of handling or stimulation. She's quite undersized, feels kind of fragile and lightweight but she's adorable!
Both of them bite hard enough to draw blood through cage bars but are gentle otherwise; guess they've been fed through the bars and never taught manners! I feel just a little sad about that and will have to retrain myself, as I currently put my fingers through the bars every time I walk past Merry and Pippin's cage for them to groom and lick :( so I'll expect to be walking around with plasters on all my fingers for a while untilI get out of that habit!

Return to “Rescue care”