Shunamite diet question

Get help making up a mix or check out what other members think of the recipe you are using.
callumnorm

Re: Shunamite diet question

Post by callumnorm » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:41 pm

as a base mix can i use xtra vital rat mix?

callumnorm

Post by callumnorm » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:26 pm

could i use xtra vital rat food? it says on the shuunamite diet website it can be used

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:51 pm

I'm sure some people do use it, but Bephar refuse to disclose the ingredients or nutritional analysis (of any of their foods) online so I can't give my opinion. Although I will say that companies which are cagey about these things do usually have something to hide. Further than that I refer you to my previous point
acapae_wolf wrote:We can advise the options, but as with other angles of pet-keeping, there's no single explicit right way, and thus the decisions are yours.
However I'm going to bow out of this thread now. I'm more than happy to write long replies and fish out links and so on, but if the responses are just more one-liner questions without any politeness or even sense of discussion about the information provided then I rather feel that my energy is best spent on other things.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

callumnorm

Post by callumnorm » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:39 pm

is that to me or not? if so i am polite?

callumnorm

Is this mix any good?shunamite style!

Post by callumnorm » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:57 pm

Note: thread merged with your existing one about making a SD mix to prevent unecessary repetition.

Harrisons banana rabbit brunch

Fishmonger senior dog food

wholewheat fusilli pasta

porridge oats

whole earth cornflakes

Ryvita sesame crispbread (broken up)

regular weetabix (broken up)

and a small handful of pumpkin seeds

Pepperpots

Re: Is this mix any good?shunamite style!

Post by Pepperpots » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:20 pm

To be honest, if you're only getting a couple of rats, I'd recommend mixing a complete RatRations mix with the HBB. That way you are getting much more variety including small seeds and dried veg.

Their standard mix contains Whole barley, flaked barley, flaked maize, groats, flaked peas, paddy rice, buckwheat, white dari, flaked wheat, flaked buckwheat, mixed millets, seed mixture (fennel, milk thistle, pumpkin seed, hemp, linseed, white quinoa), mixed puffs (millet, rice, buckwheat), flaked soya, dried mixed veg, brown lentils, brown basmati rice, dandelion leaves, flaked carrot, gammarus shrimp, pasta, red pepper flakes, beetroot flakes, garlic pieces, kelp powder/pieces

You can see that there is much more variety and of a good quality.

The HBB will provide some of the vits and mins needed and something like DailyRat 3 can be used a couple of times a week.

You can then have fun with fresh food. There's a great thread called 'What I fed my rat today' which will give you loads of ideas.
Last edited by Pepperpots on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Introducing the rat boys: Mr Pickles, Spider and Master George (chief trouble maker).
Flump the dieting hybrid hamster

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:49 pm

[cub] wrote: Because I am a nerd, I ran some quick numbers on this. :oops: 1 cup of mealworms weighs about 40g; 1 cup of Science Selective Rat (the closest thing I had to dog kibble in terms of density) weighs about 110g. Assuming that Science Selective Rat is a similar density to Burns Chicken and Brown Rice (which I've chosen for this example because it seems popular), 1 cup of mealworms contains about 24g protein and 10g fat, whereas 1 cup of Burns contains about 31g protein and 13g fat. (Based on nutrition data from Rat Rations.) So you'd actually need about a third more mealworms by volume than dog kibble if you wanted to substitute it in a Shunamite-style diet. Mealworms are very rich, but they're also mostly air. :P
Quite probably true, mine's added by weight anyway as I don't order in huge quantities...and I have a combo of mealworms/shrimps/varying kibbles (+fresh) so volumes mean nothing to me :lol:

With regards to your mix - there's not necessarily anything wrong with it (I'd probably be inclined to add a second type of seeds too perhaps, e.g. hemp), but as it's all down to the relative quantity of each ingredient, I can't really tell much. Do be aware that cereals and pasta are "easier" calories so too much can cause easy-doers to put on too much weight - very much rat-dependent!
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

Return to “Making up a mix”