Current base mix options

Get help making up a mix or check out what other members think of the recipe you are using.
acapae_wolf

Current base mix options

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:22 am

I mixed the rats up some more food last night, but they didn't get very much out of it because I've finished the last of my sack of rabbit food. What are the current rodent-suitable rabbit mixes that people are using? I want a supplemented one (otherwise I don't see the point in using a mix over straights), and ideally I want a size smaller than 15Kg now. I know HBB comes in 3Kg bags, so wondering if that's my only option or not.

Or, well, probably. The multis eat a lot of food (~70g a day), but even adding them in I don't really think getting a full sized sack is now worth it. If I have to I'll get a hamster mix and then water it down for the rats, but I'd rather not do that because the cheap ones are full of fillers and the decent ones are horrendously expensive.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

RedFraggle

Re: Current base mix options

Post by RedFraggle » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:01 am

I like HBB and have stuck with that a while now. I did try a few others (Mayfield, wilco) but wasn't impressed.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:01 am

RedFraggle wrote:I did try a few others (Mayfield, wilco)
What size bags do they come in? I've never heard of Mayfield.
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:36 pm

Wilco is either a 1kg bag. They loved the fruity rabbit but I think it's too sweet/artificial. Mayfield you can buy loose at the range so you can get as much or as little as you like. Info on it here http://www.feedem.co.uk/small-animal-c1 ... 15kg-p3459
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Pepperpots

Post by Pepperpots » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:02 pm

I've used others in the past, but I like HBB as its more barley based. Plus it's pretty easy to get rid of the banana pieces when feeding the fatties.

I've looked in a few pet shops round here, to avoid paying postage. However both the rabbit and rat food looks a bit grim.

Once this bags gone, I think I'm going to go with RR 11 on its own, as an experiment to see if their condition stays as good. And in a quest to reduce the vast amounts of animal feed I have!
Introducing the rat boys: Mr Pickles, Spider and Master George (chief trouble maker).
Flump the dieting hybrid hamster

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:22 pm

Pepperpots wrote:I've used others in the past
Could you expand on what? I'm specifically researching the options that aren't HBB (as noted in my OP I'm aware of that one as a smaller bag option). As in, I know 3Kg bags of HBB exist, so I want to make a conscious decision to buy that (with or without anything else, which would also require knowing what else there is) rather than defaulting to alone.
RedFraggle wrote:Wilco is either a 1kg bag. They loved the fruity rabbit but I think it's too sweet/artificial. Mayfield you can buy loose at the range so you can get as much or as little as you like. Info on it here http://www.feedem.co.uk/small-animal-c1 ... 15kg-p3459
Ahhh, I don't have The Range near me. Jemma's always making me jealous by telling me what new toy she bought there and I'm all woe because the nearest one is miles away :lol: Can you remember anything about the Wilkos fruity rabbit ingredients-wise? Although them not thinking that I'd like to know the ingredients isn't exactly making it sound very desirable haha.
I'm trying to find a commercial mix that'll work for a base for multiple species (rather than just rats), so whatever I go for will probably have to have a lot of adaptions for someone. I'm also thinking about mixing two commercial mixes together as a base, as I could then vary the ratios with them as well. It was just general pondering, but I didn't realise how little HBB I had left...!

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Ugh this isn't going well. Why do websites assume you won't want to know what the food looks like before you buy it.

Pepperpots

Post by Pepperpots » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:48 pm

I think I used Alpha Herbal Delux, but I used to buy a big sack of it. Food hunting is rubbish isn't it. The best commercial hamster food I can find seems to be Bunny Dream, but it's pretty expensive and I think the Syrian version has the dreaded alfalfa pellets.

Good luck C
Introducing the rat boys: Mr Pickles, Spider and Master George (chief trouble maker).

Pepperpots

Post by Pepperpots » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:29 pm

J R Farm Hamster Feast looks ok and is on offer at zooplus. It doesn't say if it contains calcium, copper, magnesium etc though. Protein is 12.9%

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:31 pm

I have temporarily bought some Mr Johnsons Rabbit because I can get it locally aka I dithered for so long I completely ran out. It seems to be 90% pea flakes (plus contains molasses), so isn't a long term solution.

shiprat

Post by shiprat » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:07 pm

Do you have a Jollyes nearby? They sell rabbit food loose which I sometimes buy.
Rat Out of Hell Rescue.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:11 am

The Mr Johnsons is going down better than expected for now. The pea flakes are really fine and are soaking down into oldie rat smush really easily. As opposed to the normal chunky style that refused to break down at all. If I only had a small number of rats to consider I think I'd stick with it :) But the molasses are making it awkward. Maybe the rats and multis can have the Mr Johnsons and everyone else can have something else.

RedFraggle, did you ever try this Wilkos one?
http://www.wilko.com/small-pet-food+tre ... vt/0094065
I have car access on Wednesday so could viably get to Wilkos to try a bag or two of something.
shiprat wrote:Do you have a Jollyes nearby? They sell rabbit food loose which I sometimes buy.
Oooh, that'd be handy! Alas no, there's some on the Yorkshire urban corridor between the A1 and M6 (45miles or so away), and then not until Newcastle. There's shops round here that do sell food loose, but only dog and bird food, not rabbit or anything else like that.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:22 pm

Thanks to Rhian I have decided to use Science Selective mature rabbit pellets for the supplemented commercial part (they smell really lovely). So I'll play around with ratios of straights for the rest :)

Return to “Making up a mix”