Millet Question

Get help making up a mix or check out what other members think of the recipe you are using.
artgecko

Millet Question

Post by artgecko » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:25 pm

For those that include millet in their rats' diets, what kind do you use and do you use loose millet or the millet that is sold for birds (still on the stalks)?
I have seen several types of loose millet for sale for birds (white, red, mixed) and also the kind sold in strings. I'd like to include some in my dry grain mix, but am not sure what kind would be suitable.

I'd love any input you guys have on this topic and what has / has not worked for you and your rats.

Thank you for your time and help!

acapae_wolf

Re: Millet Question

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:29 pm

Loose millet in the mix, occasional sprays hung up in the cage for enrichment :)

All millet varieties are suitable - I'd probably go for a mix if you have the ability, just because it's slightly more variety in terms of what they're eating, and small differences in nutrient profiles. But if it's cheaper/ easier to just buy one type, that's more than fine.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:42 pm

Different millets are actually different species of grains (different genuses even); they just look very similar so they're all called "millet". (Some of the different millets out there may well just be different cultivars of the same species, but there are also lots of totally different species among the various grains called "millet".) So definitely go for a mix if it's convenient to do so; saying that, I only have pearl millet in my mix since I can get it in 2kg sacks locally. (At least I strongly suspect it's pearl millet; most shops have a really bad habit of not specifying which millet it is that they're selling. :P But if it's aimed at human consumption, it's a fairly safe bet that it's pearl millet.)
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Din the Sith Lord, Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

artgecko

Post by artgecko » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks!
Here is a link to the site I was thinking of using. I've ordered other foods and medications from them before.

http://www.ladygouldianfinch.com/product_bulkseed.php

They have red Siberian millet, Japanese millet, and white proso millet. I thought they had a mixture, but they may have stopped offering it. They also have millet sprays as well.

Thank you for your time and help!

Return to “Making up a mix”