are these ingredients safe?

Get help making up a mix or check out what other members think of the recipe you are using.
kaylawise

are these ingredients safe?

Post by kaylawise » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:29 am

i would like to add some dried fruits and veggies to my mix. i was wondering is some of things i want to add unsafe or too much of a treat than to be included in a regular mix.

the DRIED fruits:
apples
apricots
bananas
blackberries
blueberries
peaches
plums
pears
raspberries

the DRIED veggies:
broccoli
carrots
cauliflower
peas

of course i wouldn't add all of them but i just want to know what i should definitely put in their mix and what i should probably keep as a treat.
thank you!

Pepperpots

Re: are these ingredients safe?

Post by Pepperpots » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:18 am

I would add the dried veg and leave the fruit as an occasional treat, as it is high in sugar.
Introducing the rat boys: Mr Pickles, Spider and Master George (chief trouble maker).
Flump the dieting hybrid hamster

acapae_wolf

Re: are these ingredients safe?

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:42 am

Agreed. The other thing to note is if you have any rats with chronic resp. issues that it can pay to be careful with dried fruit. This is because the cheap and vaguely orange stuff is usually preserved with fairly high doses of sulphur dioxide, which can have negative effects on individuals in terms of resp. stuff (either in terms of being more sensitive to it, and/or in terms of having less of a margin in terms of function).

I'm probably more cautious than other people with respy rats and sulphur though because it does set off my asthma, so it's something I'm just generally cautious of. With robust/ healthy rats I don't bother, but rats who have flare-ups I do try and limit their exposure.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Return to “Making up a mix”