Shunamite... a few things i dont understand...

Get help making up a mix or check out what other members think of the recipe you are using.
Buzzwizz619

Shunamite... a few things i dont understand...

Post by Buzzwizz619 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:09 am

Ive brought "the scuttling gourmet" (brilliant book and very easy to understand!!) but their is still a few things i dont understand about feeding the shunamite type diet...

the book says:-
- base atleast 60%
- cereals 15-20%
-seeds, veg, herbs 10-15%
-protein 10%

But the website says
- base 40-60%
- cereals 30-55%
- seeds, veg, herbs extras
- protein 5-10%
- pasta 0-10%

These values are significantly different especially the cereals part....

.... also if everything is measured in volume how is it balanced? 1 cup of cornflakes is significantly less than 1 cup of crushed corn flakes... Puffed rice is significantly less than brown rice....dried shrimp, meals worms etc would be significantly more protein than dog kibble.... how is this keeping it balance?

....also if i wanted to feed a combination of protein such as dog kibble, soya flakes, meal worms, dried shrimp, egg biscuit (is that actually a source of protein? im not sure :/) how would it balance out? as they would all contribute different levels :L

sorry for all the questions... i thought the book would explain everything but its left me even more confused!

amy

[cub]

Re: Shunamite... a few things i dont understand...

Post by [cub] » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:13 pm

I too was confused about the measuring things by volume, and I'm still not entirely clear on how people work through the issues you've noticed, because I just ended up doing everything by weight. I've got a set of electronic kitchen scales so I find it easier to weigh things out than to eyeball half cups or quarter cups of things, and doing it by weight means I can throw together a spreadsheet and do a rough nutritional analysis of the result. :P
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA28).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth) the big lump, Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:32 pm

*waits for acape wolf* ;)
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:55 pm

The SD is not about exact quantities, there is a lot of leeway so that it can be adjusted to suit different needs, and to reflect varying ingredients. It's also evolving over time - I think the book is more accurate than the website which seems to focus on using a commercial mix as the base, and probably predates rat rations!

The recipe is devised for volume, if you try to follow it using weight then the proportions will be wrong.

To answer your specific queries:
Cornflakes aren't (usually) sold crushed, so it would mean 1 cup of whole cornflakes.
Puffed rice comes under the cereals heading (as a processed cereal), whereas brown rice comes under the straights heading and would form part of the base - most processed cereal is of a similar weight.
If you use a more concentrated form of protein, then you do need less of it. So if you just use insects you'd add 5% rather than 10% for dog kibble, if it's a mixture then add 7%.
Eggs are protein.

Buzzwizz619

Post by Buzzwizz619 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:25 pm

Thankyou that makes sense! so the minimallys process grains are :-
- Rye flakes
- barley flakes
- bran
- dari
- groats
- oats
- millet

and the heavily processed grains are :-
- cornflakes
- wheat a bix
- rice cakes

So i can add 20% of the minimally processed grains and 20% of the highly process grains to make up 80% of the mix and the rest can be protein, seeds, dried fruit/veg, pasta and things like that?

Thankyou!

Return to “Making up a mix”