How much mix to buy for new rats?

Get help making up a mix or check out what other members think of the recipe you are using.
Lilac_rats

How much mix to buy for new rats?

Post by Lilac_rats » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:38 pm

Hi all

I don't yet have rats but I am hoping we will be lucky enough to get some soon. In the meantime I'm getting supplies ready, I havea Freddy Max 2 cage but not got food yet. I was going to go with a 50:50 mis of Harrisons Banana Brunch and I think the No1 readymix on rat rations as this has shown as a mix a few people have used on here. But how much to buy and how long does it store well for?

I have no idea how much rats eat! Basing this on 2-3 rats, unsure on gender yet!

Thanks in advance all :)
xx

Kristal

Re: How much mix to buy for new rats?

Post by Kristal » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:04 pm

My girls have around 12-15g of dry mix daily per rat, if that helps. Any more than that and they pile on weight very quickly!
Pippin, Willow and Rowan x
RIP Merry, Summer and Storm xxx

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:05 am

Lilac_rats wrote:I was going to go with a 50:50 mis of Harrisons Banana Brunch and I think the No1 readymix on rat rations as this has shown as a mix a few people have used on here
Do you mean the complete mix No11? No1 is a base mix, and therefore needs to have a lot of extras added. ;)

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:18 am

I've fed my girls anything between 10g (spayed, in the summer) and 15g (unspayed, in the winter) per rat per day. Boys tend to be larger than girls, so maybe they eat more? (Though apparently they also tend to be less active as adults, so maybe that balances out their larger size and they end up eating about the same as girls? I don't know.)

For storage, if you store dry mix in an airtight container in a cool place, it should keep perfectly well for at least a year or two.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Din the Sith Lord, Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Lilac_rats

Post by Lilac_rats » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:18 pm

Mary - yes probably, my head was a bit over flowing with ratty stuff last night when I posted ;)

Thanks all, hugely helpful again :)
xx

Return to “Making up a mix”