Where Can I purchase Harlan Teklad in the UK/ Use as a sub?

Get help making up a mix or check out what other members think of the recipe you are using.
HollyNicol

Where Can I purchase Harlan Teklad in the UK/ Use as a sub?

Post by HollyNicol » Fri May 30, 2014 11:07 am

I am getting some new rats next week and been looking into the type of food to get them. Most people have recommended Harlan Teklad Lab Blocks (2018 for young rats) but I am having a lot of difficulty finding a website that will order it to the UK. Am I wrong, or is it impossible to buy this food brand unless you're from the US?

I don't really want to have to make my own food mix as I have done that in the past and found it very expensive and time consuming. I'd like to know if there are any websites that will definitely order to the UK or if there is a UK substitute to Harlan that will have all the same health benefits?

I have heard Oxbo is a good brand too but not high enough in protein for rats under 4 months, could I use this and add a supplement to it so that it is high enough in protein?

Any helpful advice I will be very grateful for! Thanks :D
xxx Proud mummy of Duke, Marley, Milo, Ophelia & Binky xxx Rest in peace; Maxxiie, Brody, Diego & Cordelia <3

sbarnett984

Re: Where Can I purchase Harlan Teklad in the UK/ Use as a s

Post by sbarnett984 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:30 am

From what i have read about it, it is primarily a US product used for lab rats. Although it has all the right things in it, pellets like that are very boring for rats and doesn't give them any enrichment. If you don't want to make your own mixes i would recommend the rat rations website for getting a complete mix. This can be scatter fed to allow the rats to forage and can be supplemented with fresh fruit and veg and products such as dr squiggles or daily rat 3 etc which can also be bought from there :)
Sam;

HollyNicol

Post by HollyNicol » Fri May 30, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks, your post was very helpful.

I have had a look on the website and found a base mix (No1 for female and young rats) that I would like to use. (Full mixes were for adults and prices seem fairly cheap so I think creating a mix soley from that website will be the best option.)
After further research I found that supplements with the following ratio (40% the base mix , 30% added human cereals, 15% dried veg/fruit and seeds, 15% protein) should be added for full nutrition.

Are they any particular supplements anyone would recommend (from ratrations preferably) as being most nutritious or most liked taste-wise by rats?

Thanks, :)
xxx Proud mummy of Duke, Marley, Milo, Ophelia & Binky xxx Rest in peace; Maxxiie, Brody, Diego & Cordelia <3

sbarnett984

Post by sbarnett984 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:50 pm

I can't really comment on base mixes as I personally use the complete mixes but for the supplements I use daily rat 3 which I measure and put on their fresh food. Calcivet is also a good one http://www.ratrations.com/calcivet-liqu ... p-436.html which can be added to their water or food :)
Sam;

HollyNicol

Post by HollyNicol » Fri May 30, 2014 1:57 pm

Okay thanks I'll check that out too, you have been very helpful.

I have put together a mix of:
No1 Female & Young rats (40%)
Dried Mealworms (10%)
Mixed Nuts and fruit (10%)
Black Sunflower seeds (10%)
Barley Rings (30%)

So I hope this will be as fully nutritional as possible, I will check out some other threads before I go ahead and order.

:)

HollyNicol

Is this mix okay for young rats?

Post by HollyNicol » Fri May 30, 2014 2:05 pm

Note: thread merged with your other one to prevent repetition.

Hi, I am new to the forum.

I will be picking up 3 rats next week from a breeder and have decided to make my own mix from ratrations.com
Could you let me know if this mix will be nutritionally complete for my rats (will be 6 weeks old)? - Is there any thing I should remove/add?

No1 Female & Young rats (40%)
Dried Mealworms (10%)
Mixed Nuts and fruit (10%)
Black Sunflower seeds (10%)
Barley Rings (30%)

I have attempted to use products that include some calcium, copper, vitamin D and aren't too high in fat. Alongside this I will be feeding them fresh veg, chicken, millet spray every so often.

Thanks. :D

blossomgirl
Admin Aide

Post by blossomgirl » Sat May 31, 2014 6:47 am

Not sure how old your rats are, but the mix you're proposing now is very high in fat and protein. Th fruit and nut mix is really intended as a treat, not to add to mixes. Check out some of the articles about feeding on the forum, and I also recommend purchasing a copy of The Scuttling Gourmet, if you plan to mix. For those who have no experience kixing, it's probably better to start out using one of their complete mixes.

As for supplements, you need either Daily Rat 3, or a combination of Daily Essentials and Calcivet. Calcivet alone, or Daily Essentials alone does not fully cover what they need.
Proudly owned by Zane (Kirchner), Sam Vimes, Freddy Colon, Mortimer - Duke of Sto Helit, Cohen the Barbarian and Nijel the Destroyer.
Loved and sorely missed: Bryan, Os, John, Victor, Percy, Ricky, Toby, Ruan, Dorian, Gio, Vico and Friemel
http://www.ratrations.nl

HollyNicol

Post by HollyNicol » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks for the reply.

The rats will be six weeks old when I pick them up from the breeder. How high in protein/fat is it? I realise younger rats need more protein than older rats but obviously I will need to make some adjustments.

I have already ordered the mix (I thought it would be fine as I followed some guidelines from another couple of websites) and wanted to order it that day so it would arrive in time before the rats come. What would you suggest I do? Remove the fruit/nut altogether? Add something else? Or decrease the amounts of mealworms etc. I put into the mix?

I had a look at some of their own mixes but was unsure as my rats will be very young and they seemed to be aimed mainly at adults. If I make some changes will the mix I have ordered be okay to use for now?

I will go ahead and order the vitamins too.

NellyNoodle

Post by NellyNoodle » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:04 pm

I would reduce the mealworms and seeds to 5% each, ditch the fruit and nuts, reduce the barley rings to 10%, up the base mix to 60% and make up the remaining 20% in low sugar cereals like kallo puffed rice, shredded wheat, rat rations mixed puffs etc. And feed with the suggested supplements.

HollyNicol

Post by HollyNicol » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:19 am

Okay, I will do this. (and only use fruit and nut as treats)

Thanks to everyone, all answers have been very helpful :D

pinkeleisha5

Re: Is this mix okay for young rats?

Post by pinkeleisha5 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:04 pm

hello. i have baby rats too and they are a few months old as well and i would also recommend giving them a good source of protein like dog biscuits into their rat mix it has to be a percentage 20% or lower but keep be in mind its quite hard to find. also for vegetables i recommend red and green capsicum. red capsicum is better than green and yellow as it has the highest vitamin A and C than the other colors but generally yellow and green are still high in vitamins so even those are okay. mine prefer green rather than red and that's still perfectly fine. hope you have fun with your ratties! :)

p.s they also loveeeeee cheeros like the wholegrain cheeros either as a treat or in their rat mix
owner of two happy female ratties Penny and Lunar (RIP Lexi, you will forever be missed greatly) <3

(Australia)

Hanlou

Re: Is this mix okay for young rats?

Post by Hanlou » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:23 pm

pinkeleisha5 wrote:hello. i have baby rats too and they are a few months old as well and i would also recommend giving them a good source of protein like dog biscuits into their rat mix it has to be a percentage 20% or lower but keep be in mind its quite hard to find. also for vegetables i recommend red and green capsicum. red capsicum is better than green and yellow as it has the highest vitamin A and C than the other colors but generally yellow and green are still high in vitamins so even those are okay. mine prefer green rather than red and that's still perfectly fine. hope you have fun with your ratties! :)

p.s they also loveeeeee cheeros like the wholegrain cheeros either as a treat or in their rat mix
If you use fresh protein you don't need to use dog kibble.

Cheerios are really high in sugar so I wouldn't use those at all tbh - I think they're about 20% sugar from memory!!
Love Han xx
With the Rabbits and the Doglets xx Plus the meeces, the Multis and Honey the Syrian Hamster! Xx
The Lilliput Ratty Trio - forever in my heart - Nisha, Koko and Lila. Zuri and Hazel too - much missed xx :rattyrainbow: xx

sbarnett984

Post by sbarnett984 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:31 pm

I use Cheerios or shreddies as an occasional (pretty much once every month or two) treat if I happen to have some in the cupboard. Would you suggest stopping that completely, Hanlou? This is why I prefer to use a complete mix and supplement with DR3 and fresh fruit and veg. Trying to work out percentages of things and confusing labelling gives me a headache :?
Sam;

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:19 pm

Sounds like youve got great advice on feeding your rats now.
Just as a point in regards to Harlan... I looked at them a few years ago and found their ivolvement with researh is not limited to food, they also supply animal models - not the plastic kind, but the actual animals bred for traits used in research.
Regardless of the quality of their food, ethically I wouldnt put money in the pockets of these people.
Just my opinion ofc, but worth noting for anyone considering trying to source them.

Also, welcome to FR :) Good luck with the new girlies - photos are considered mandatory :D
Doug, witless provider to :
Ratties :smile: ex-lab boys Boxer and Spot
Budgies Freyja and Haiku.
:rattyrainbow: 43 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Jess :rattyrainbow:

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:15 pm

sbarnett984 wrote:I use Cheerios or shreddies as an occasional (pretty much once every month or two) treat if I happen to have some in the cupboard. Would you suggest stopping that completely, Hanlou? This is why I prefer to use a complete mix and supplement with DR3 and fresh fruit and veg. Trying to work out percentages of things and confusing labelling gives me a headache :?
Nah they'd be fine as a treat - I just wouldn't use them as part of a dry food diet. Like I love Dairy Milk but only have it fairly infrequently rather than every day lol! :D xx

(I always used Complete mixes too once they became available - and will do so again when I have ratties again!! Percentages confused me too lol.....)
Love Han xx
With the Rabbits and the Doglets xx Plus the meeces, the Multis and Honey the Syrian Hamster! Xx
The Lilliput Ratty Trio - forever in my heart - Nisha, Koko and Lila. Zuri and Hazel too - much missed xx :rattyrainbow: xx

Return to “Making up a mix”