New babies - feeding protein

Discussions relating to feeding rats, types of food, supplements, and problems relating to eating.
Anne

New babies - feeding protein

Post by Anne » Fri May 29, 2015 9:48 am

On Wednesday I collected my long awaited gorgeous Stardust boys - Murphy and Misha from Emma. They're wonderful.

I'm sure Emma won't mind me asking as the more I read I confuse myself. The boys are 8 weeks old (in 2 days!) and my main mix for my group is RR 11a. So I bought some grammarus shrimp to add to their portion - but how much? (Daily?)

For variety I have other planned protein eg nature diet puppy food, applaws cat food, sardines in tomato sauce, egg, chicken on the bone etc

How much of either of these do I give daily? is it daily until 10 weeks old then only every few days until 12 weeks old?

I know I've done this before but it's been a while and some of my boys end up on the "larger side" which I try to avoid!
: Anne :

Jemma
Fancy Rats Team

Re: New babies - feeding protein

Post by Jemma » Fri May 29, 2015 10:34 am

At 8 weeks old i wouldn't up the protien in there dry mix at all. that's about the age when i stop it as they move in with my main group. instead i give occasional fresh protien and high protien trears (the shrimp will be good for this).

At 8 weeks i would do this maybe once or twice a week. replacing half there dry food with a dessert spoon each of wet protien rich food.

After the first week i would stop this and instead use there condition to tell you when they need extras. this means you give them the minimum they need to grow well so don't overt feed. to do this you need to look at the tail and coat. the tail gets asquare edge to it when they need a bit extra protien and there coat gets long around the rump and slightly scraggily. if they get like this then give them 2 days in that week off wet food and expect them to have show improvement by the end of the next week. if not another couple of meals and so on.

you can continue this condition led approach for all there life as when an adult moults they often need a bit more protien too. it's also important not to overt feed dry food even at a young age so try and keep then feeling like little muscley slender things. they shouldn't bulge out or have a big bum and tiny shoulders.

the one thing i would keep up for a while is suppliments. they need more than your adults so i would make sure your supplimenting 5 days of every 7 rather than the usual 2 or 3

Anne

Post by Anne » Fri May 29, 2015 11:18 am

Thanks Jemma. So I can get my head round it -

up to twice a week depending on condition for now I could give a desert spoon each of any of the proteins I mentioned eg fish, or egg or puppy/cat food but reduce the dry feed. (Though the nature diet isn't proving a favourite. The shrimp are!)

The babies are in fabulous condition :) So to double check if after 1 week if they look in not such good condition- then I stop the extra protein.

They are getting daily veggies.

Until what age do they need the extra supplements? I intend to intro to my oldies next week.
: Anne :

Jemma
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Jemma » Fri May 29, 2015 11:31 am

if they aren't keen on the nature's menu try mixing some of the shrimp in. that should get them going.

Sounds like you've got the idea, it's a bit of a skill to get right but once you've done it a few times you'll really get the knack and it is best long term for them

in terms of when to stop i still give mine the odd extra protien meal well into adult hood if they look like they need it. bucks in particular can have growth spurts past a year old. of course it gets to a point when in careful with the type of protien they get abbe move towards kidney friendly wet meals. that's probably around 18 months but depends on when the rats start to look a little old.

Return to “Feeding”