How much to feed?

Discussions relating to feeding rats, types of food, supplements, and problems relating to eating.
HaleCry

How much to feed?

Post by HaleCry » Fri May 22, 2015 10:26 am

Hey guys :D

I've got three bucks that are about 8 weeks old, and I was just wondering how much mix I should be feeding them?
I usually put some food in, then if there is still some left the next day,mi know I'm feeding too much.

This may sound like a silly question, but how do I know it's 'all gone'?
Is all gone COMPLETELY empty? Because the bits that are left look like the outside of the seeds, the 'husks'? Do they eat those, or is that what is classed as empty?
Thanks in advance.
Mummy to seven gorgeous boys :D
- Bilbo, Samwise, Frodo, Baggins, Meriadoc, Pippin, Legolas

[cub]

Re: How much to feed?

Post by [cub] » Fri May 22, 2015 11:11 am

How much you should feed really depends on the rats, but 15-20g per rat is a good starting point. If you weigh out the food you give them and the rats you can keep better track. Obviously at 8 weeks they should still be growing, so if they're not gaining weight then they need a bit more, but if there's leftovers then they don't need so much. Husks don't count as leftovers as they're not really digestible by rats.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

HaleCry

Post by HaleCry » Fri May 22, 2015 12:26 pm

Thank you! :)

HaleCry

Post by HaleCry » Fri May 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Are the weights Normal for 8 week old bucks?
Bilbo weigh 226 grams, Frodo weighs 142 grams, and Samwise weighs 141 grams.
I'm not sure why there is such a huge gap... Bilbo is quite a lot bigger than the other two :oops:

NellyNoodle

Post by NellyNoodle » Fri May 22, 2015 2:41 pm

It depends where they're from. My 7.5 week boys are around 210-225, so for me I would say Bilbo is more 'normal'. I feed buck kittens 15g/day plus fresh protein every 2nd/3rd day at that stage, but it sounds like maybe the smaller two need a bit more building up.

Return to “Feeding”