One rat eating more than other

Discussions relating to feeding rats, types of food, supplements, and problems relating to eating.
Phil2

One rat eating more than other

Post by Phil2 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:41 am

2 male rats and one is skinnier than the other, weve noticed though one stashes all the food but iv fed the other a few nuggets he ate then all yesterday, decided to do it morning afternoon evening jusy giving him a few and he eats lots im worried allthough he ccan access the other iff our other rat is the dominant one wil he not let him have them, i csnt afford 2 cages so what do i do ? And can they eat cabbage?

ElizabethW

Re: One rat eating more than other

Post by ElizabethW » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:07 am

Do you scatter feed at all? This can stop one rat from 'hogging' all the food in a bowl and provides more of a natural environment for them as well :)
Cabbage is okay to feed.
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

starstar

Post by starstar » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:08 am

We had the same problem with one of our boys (we have 4 entire males). What we do with Loki is remove just him from the cage when the food is scattered to allow the other 3 to have a good feed. Loki is left in the carry box while the food is scattered so he cannot see where it is, then returned to the cage to forage with the others. We do the same in the evening with their fresh foods. Yes they can eat cabbage :) Hope this helps.
Ferret mum to..
Millie, Eddie, Riffraff & Fizzgig, Baloo, Dillon, Rupert, Pookie, Rosie, Buck, Kira, Louis and Lilly "Of the Clan Macphearson"
Dearly departed Mario and Taz, Luigi and Loki x forever in our hearts ratty babies x
Departed Ferret babies: Milo & Sam

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:46 am

Thing is he really will sniff out any food his sense of smells amazing so he will find any food, i will try that, also say we give them some carrot or apple chase ( the bugger i think more dominant one) will take food off mario, but nuggets i cant say iv seen him, but still mario must feel like he cant have his stash, so yeah ivan try scattering them all over the cage. Its fine if he eats like last night but im thinking if hes hungary while in the cage the other 23 hours and he cant get food

starstar

Post by starstar » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:06 pm

If he is more dominant you could try a toilet roll tube feeder. Put dry food inside a toilet roll tube and wrap it in some kitchen roll and tie it up in the cage. The more dominant rat will (in our case) be the one to work hard at getting it open, while the other has to wait, once open the food should fall to the floor giving the other rat first go at it.
Ferret mum to..
Millie, Eddie, Riffraff & Fizzgig, Baloo, Dillon, Rupert, Pookie, Rosie, Buck, Kira, Louis and Lilly "Of the Clan Macphearson"
Dearly departed Mario and Taz, Luigi and Loki x forever in our hearts ratty babies x
Departed Ferret babies: Milo & Sam

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:06 pm

I could try that yeah, iv scattered some nuggets around

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:05 pm

If you feed once or twice a day, you can always just take the dominant one out for 10-20 mins to let the less dominant one eat.

It may also be worth looking into a mix - at least as part of the diet - as there'll probably be smaller pieces that are easier for scattering and harder to hoard. One being slimmer doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem though unless there's active bullying going on. Some rats are just naturally smaller than others and some enjoy stuffing their faces :lol:
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

Phil2

Post by Phil2 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:52 pm

Yeah the vets said both are fine weight and some are bigger than others, tonight though heard 2 fights, no blood yet but just a bit squekier than normal, they could be anywhere from 5 months old (this is a estimate as we dont know exactly) iv had them since beginning of feb they were small then, sold to us as 11 weeks old in feb but unsure, im just worried if they got castrated ( do both need to be or if ones being a pain just one)? Im worried though about loosing them to it :(

Jemma
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Jemma » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:01 pm

i wouldn't worry about castration yet. boys will scrap and as long add they aren't consistently hurting each other they are likley acting like perfectly normal teenage bucks. think of them like stroppy teenage boys, most don't mean any harm or take things to far they just need to wave there hormones around for a while. i expect it to settle down in a month or so. if it gets worse Ave your seeing wounds or relentless bullying or one attacks you i would usually only castrate the aggressor though it does depend on the situation

Return to “Feeding”