Do I really taste that good??

Discussions relating to all aspects of rat behaviour, training, companionship, and introductions.
urbanwolf_uk

Do I really taste that good??

Post by urbanwolf_uk » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:46 pm

Random question!
The raising of my new kittens (whom, it has been established, are a fair bit younger than you'd expect to find for a first-time rat owner like me) has been going well! I'm making a point to put my hand in the cage with them very often and they seem very comfortable with it - enough to take naps next to me.

They also love to lick my fingers! Like... a lot! Whether or not I've been handling food, it's their favourite way of greeting me. They'll go pretty much until I get bored of it. It's adorable and I don't mind at all, but I have to wonder... just how much flavour could be on a hand?? I have to figure it's either that or they're under the idea that enough licking with get them a treat!

bazu

Re: Do I really taste that good??

Post by bazu » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:27 pm

For rats, grooming each other is a huge social thing - it's friendliness, it's power/hierarchy/dominance, it's hygiene, it's a whole bunch of things, and that's probably what your babies are doing here :)

Basically, it probably means they either think of you as a friend or they're trying to make friends with you!
Currently servant to Pidge and Hunk.

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-seven beautiful whiskery angels

Return to “Behaviour”