Grooming & coat condition with HLD

Discussions relating to weight, fitness, hygiene needs and such like.
Mayamy
Admin Aide

Grooming & coat condition with HLD

Post by Mayamy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:09 pm

One of my older ladies now has much more limited mobility as she has no real feeling in her back legs. She's been holding condition & weight fairly well, although I'm starting to add in some extra wet meals and oil, but she is finding grooming more difficult - especially anywhere her back legs used to come into play. She's been enjoying a toothbrush-groom and some ear/shoulder rubs but I was wondering if there's anything extra/better that I could do that other oldies have appreciated?
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

acapae_wolf

Re: Grooming & coat condition with HLD

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:13 pm

Small cat brushes and/ or those silicone rodent finger brushes are generally better for grooming rats who are struggling themselves. They get down to the skin and properly do the whole hair shaft, rather than more skimming over the surface.

Also you can try putting a tiddly bit of oil directly on her - it'll help the coat/ skin directly, but also it should give everyone else a kickstart incentive to helping her out :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

lamb

Post by lamb » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:16 pm

An old boy I had absolutely loved a warm damp flannel rub down. I very gently started with his face and smoothed it down in one go down his body. I swear he smiled while I done this :D

Fab idea about the oil ;)
Emma,Salem & Pootle. 2 Ex-Batts Sky & Autumn:hearts:
:rattyrainbow: Vincent,Marley,Tara ,Dexter (aka Poppa Bear),Storm, Hermie,Mr murray man,marina,marnie,Willie,Madeina,Ripley,Faith,Hope, Ygor,Fritz,Snaffles, Raffles,Lugosi,Casper& Billy

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:23 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:Small cat brushes and/ or those silicone rodent finger brushes are generally better for grooming rats who are struggling themselves. They get down to the skin and properly do the whole hair shaft, rather than more skimming over the surface.

Also you can try putting a tiddly bit of oil directly on her - it'll help the coat/ skin directly, but also it should give everyone else a kickstart incentive to helping her out :)

I was thinking that a different brush might be better as her coat is looking a bit scruffy now. I think I'll have to try a small amount of oil to start...Sybill's getting a bit big for her boots now she's realised she can finally get the better of her sister :lol: They've both moved into a retirement cage as Merry was endlessly finding ways to plummet to the floor otherwise :roll:

Will also give the flannel a go :D She definitely likes having her ears/shoulders rubbed - she starts licking/grooming me in response.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:53 pm

Sometimes just using a small comb also works tool-wise, but I find the success very much depends on which bit of the body I'm trying to groom. If it's the back/ sides that's fine. Anywhere else, not so much :lol:

eta - if her back legs are stopping her grooming her coat properly and others aren't yet helping her (I find it can take a little while before they realise they need to help), keep an eye on her ears as well. The flannel could actually be particularly useful there.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:14 pm

Yeah, the ears -look- okay but from the amount she's enjoying the rubs/grooming it is worrying me a bit that I'm not doing enough. Sybill's getting on herself and going through the typical "I'm invincible and brave and amazing" phase that I've noticed in many of my old ladies so probably views Merry-grooming low on her current list of priorities :roll:

Return to “Physique”