HLD and swollen leg

Discussions relating to weight, fitness, hygiene needs and such like.
ScissorCrow

HLD and swollen leg

Post by ScissorCrow » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:39 pm

Randy is 28 months. His hind leg movement had been deteriorating for the around 2 months but for the past 2 weeks he's gotten worse to the point he's dragging his feet under him, the toes are curled and he can't put them into the correct position under himself.
I've been checking him for urine sores and changing his bedding regularly so he's not sitting in damp spots. He is still able to groom himself and is keen to eat and looks bright eyed and lively.

This morning he dragged himself through some mashed banana so as I was wiping it off his belly I checked his feet and know they were normal. This evening as soon as he pulled himself out of bed I noticed one foot was massively swollen, my sister suggested this could be due to lack of blood supply as he had been sat on it for a period of time.
It's just one foot, the other is normal size. He allowed me to manipulate and press it without showing any sign of pain or discomfort.

I gave him some loxicom to relieve the swelling and tried to get it moving by gently pulling the leg in different directions and extensions and uncurling the toes.
What types of movements should I be doing to help him, will 4 times a day be sufficient? Any guide as to how long to spend, 2 minutes, 5 minutes??

I have read this thread and will consider starting him on loxicom long term, depending on how he reacts to it over the next few days.

If it's still swollen tomorrow night should I take him to the vets ASAP?

Anything else I can do for the little chap?

ScissorCrow

Re: HLD and swollen leg

Post by ScissorCrow » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:45 am

I checked him last night 3 hours after giving the loxicom and the swelling had gone down a bit but the joint was still noticeably enlarged.

This morning it looks about the same, but I expect he's been sat on it most of the night. He was out of his bed on his own, whereas most mornings this week I've had to coax him out. I'm sure he was moving better on both his legs today. Gave another dose of loxi and did some movements, but I'm still not really sure what to do and for how long. He doesn't like sitting on his back so I'm keeping him still by feeding runny food off the finger of one hand and manipulating his foot with the other.

Jemma
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Jemma » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:21 pm

Has he got any abcessess around his body at the moment? The other thing this could be is sceptic artrtis which is caused when a joint becomes infected, uesually caused by an abcess elswhere on the body. If you think it might be this then you want to get him on Amoxycillin asap as it can make them ill fast.

ScissorCrow

Post by ScissorCrow » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:31 pm

Thanks for responding.
No abscesses that I can find, I've been picking him up 4 times a day to check his leg, haven't felt any strange lumps.

His leg is normal colour now and nearly back to normal size. I'm taking him along to the vets on Monday when I'm there with Luka to see if the vet will prescribe loxicom or something long term.

Return to “Physique”