Blood everywhere!!

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Rodent_Pete

Blood everywhere!!

Post by Rodent_Pete » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:08 am

So, last night I gave the rats their food, popped out of the room for a second and went back to find a big trail of blood from the top of the cage to the bottom where pippin was laying with a red foot and belly, it seems he'd cut his foot and it had been a bit vigorous! After checking to see the bleeding had stopped I left him to sleep thinking I'd either find him cold and stiff in the morning or feeling better - I just checked and he's got up to the hammock and curled up with his brothers so I think he'll be ok. I think Pippin is jealous of his brother who was at the vet yesterday and got to see their breeder and their granny....
Formerly RodentPete

alijane

Re: Blood everywhere!!

Post by alijane » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:21 am

It's amazing how dreadful some of their wounds look ... and then how quickly they are fine again. Little blighters.

Mulberry Jane

Post by Mulberry Jane » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:44 am

It is horrific to see blooded rats and gore around the place. It happened to one of my lads this week when he climbed on the baby girls' cage and one of them bit his toe off. I thought he'd found my pot of food colouring at first. Trimmex quickly stopped the bleeding and the following day he was all cleared up and looked none the worse (but less keen on freeranging)
Hope Pippin is OK
Jane @ Mulberry Rats ... and Mulberry kittens too.

http://www.mulberryrats.com

Rodent_Pete

Post by Rodent_Pete » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:48 pm

After getting a proper look at him it seems he tore off a toenail :o But he's back to his normal self now so I can relax again.
Formerly RodentPete

Gamina

Post by Gamina » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:15 am

When Apollo had his stroke he bit the toenail off his back leg, presumably because he couldn't feel anything. I have never seen so much blood. Compared to when they get cuts and bites on the skin and there is nothing.
The Battlestar Boys - Adama, Boomer, and Crashdown.

Over the bridge and always loved- Apollo, Starbuck, Helo, Caprica

zappa

Post by zappa » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:37 am

Aww :( Poor Pippin -gave you a bit of a shock!

It was lovely to see you the other day and the gorgeous Sandy. :D
Zappa Stud-Breeding for Siamese and Burmese friendly rats.
http://www.zapparats.co.uk

Rodent_Pete

Post by Rodent_Pete » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Yes, like I said maybe he'll now learn to trim his claws now so they don't catch on things! (though I doubt it)

I hope Maggie wasn't being seen for anything serious - she must be getting close to 3 years now?
Formerly RodentPete

Flox

Post by Flox » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:29 pm

One of mine lost a toenail during freerange, and didn't make a sound, so I didn't know it had happened - but finding and following the trail of blood back to the cage was one of the most terrifying things I've had to do. I didn't know who it was, or what I was going to find :shock:
Rat Riot - jewellery, ornaments and pretty things with a distinctly ratty flavour

Thanks to Smudge, Mousey & Titch, Ed & Small, Daisy, Porte & Fenetre, Spud, Brutus, Cinny, Vincent Julien, Vari, Iorek, Troos, Bootle, Podrick, Big Squee & Tiny Squee

Return to “Health”