Periodic checkups?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
ZDP-189

Periodic checkups?

Post by ZDP-189 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:45 pm

My two are now 6 months old. Should I be taking them for a check up? There seems nothing wrong with them, but do you take them for shots and a look over?

Dinky

Re: Periodic checkups?

Post by Dinky » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Rat's don't need shots unless they require medication.

I take mine every now and again for check ups just to be on the safe side, plus the vet gets to see them in a healthy state.
Lisa is owned by Harry and Travis
Loved and Lost but never forgotten; Spencer, Rex, Kes, Alfie, Wilson and Husky.

alijane

Post by alijane » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:16 pm

To play devil's advocate, I never take mine to the vet for a check up - largely because I have got so many that it would cost me an arm and a leg, but also because I am not sure it is worth it. I get mine out every day and so, if they are a bit respy, I notice. I give them all a good check over each day, so can spot lumps and so on fairly early on. There might well be things that I wouldn't spot, but I don't think the vet would spot those things either.

But I agree with you that it can be helpful for vets to see them in their healthy state. That is why I always take the patient along with a friend or two and I introduce the friends to the vet. With the number I've got, the vet gets to know folk pretty quickly!

So I wouldn't spend money on periodic check ups - I'd save it for when you get one of those "ouch" ratty vet bills that they run up.

Muddiwarx

Post by Muddiwarx » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:31 pm

I don't think that a vet would spot anything in a check up that a decent owner would not notice themselves TBH

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:34 pm

I don't take mine for general checks either. If one is ill, I try and bring them all and get them prodded/ looked over, but I wouldn't do that if they weren't ill. The one exception to that might be if I got new babies and none of the others were ill. I like all my rats to go along for the ride to the vets when they're younger for the general experience. In that scenario I'd probably just pop them in a carrier and go along to say hi to the vets/ nurses/ receptionists in a general way - rather than booking an appointment - to be prodded by new people in the vetty environment.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Return to “Health”