Healing from neutering

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Yamazumi

Healing from neutering

Post by Yamazumi » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:00 am

Ben was neutered 2 1/2 weeks ago, within a few days one side was swollen as was part of his abdomen and we took him to the vets and they checked for an abscess and found some clotting which was sorted. He's been on antibiotics the whole time and he start oozing a little through his sutures last week. We've been popping him in warm water with hibiscrub and getting out what we can and today a whole lot of pus came out, and his abdomen looks a lot better now, is not longer swollen as much. I was worried why he was still so swollen, as I didn't think there would be pus up there, but the amount that came out today couldn't have just been from his testes! Obviously it needs to be kept opened to heal, but how will we know when that is?

And my god, does it smell. It isn't something that really bothers me, my girlfriend is very grateful for me sorting it out, but the smell just gets to me. Still fascinating though lol.
Chaplin & Arthur the buns, Rory the Labrador

ZDP-189

Re: Healing from neutering

Post by ZDP-189 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:12 am

Our lad, formerly known as Mr Bigballs, had his op yesterday and has had no swelling. Best get yours to a vet. I suspect an infection.

Siana

Post by Siana » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:08 am

If he had pus in his abdominal cavity, that's pretty serious - I'd get him to the vet to be looked at again, plus the vet should be able to tell you a proper treatment/flushing routine for him, and how long to keep the area open. The area also might need to be surgically flushed out and cleaned, or at the very least, the vet might want to change the antibiotics he's on to something more suitable for treating abscesses.

Good luck. Sounds like this neuter didn't go well for the poor boy!

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:35 am

Siana wrote:If he had pus in his abdominal cavity, that's pretty serious - I'd get him to the vet to be looked at again, plus the vet should be able to tell you a proper treatment/flushing routine for him, and how long to keep the area open. The area also might need to be surgically flushed out and cleaned, or at the very least, the vet might want to change the antibiotics he's on to something more suitable for treating abscesses.

Good luck. Sounds like this neuter didn't go well for the poor boy!
This. Pus in the abdomanal cavity definitely isn't normal post-neutering - I'm well over twenty neuters now, and although we've had the odd small surface abcess around an internal stitch, we've never had that sort of complication.

Return to “Health”