Human diseases?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
ZDP-189

Human diseases?

Post by ZDP-189 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:19 am

My daughter has hand, foot and mouth. Are the rats at risk?

While I'm asking, are there any other diseases the rats can get from us?

acapae_wolf

Re: Human diseases?

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:09 am

Over in the UK, there's no much that you really need to be aware of other than staph./ strep./ other skin infections being transmissable. However skin infections are bacterial, so once you're on steroids the risk to your pets is negligible. I have no idea on the diseases that may be around in Hong Kong otherwise.

I don't know about risks to your rats at the minute though. I'd probably be more careful with interactions than usual (though it is a virus I think?), but I don't actually know.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:48 am

acapae_wolf wrote:However skin infections are bacterial,
Some are fungal - pretty sure ringworm can travel both ways, although in my expereince it frequently doesn't.

No idea about hand, foot and mouth, but as it is known to be transmissable between humans and other animals, I'd say caution is the best bet.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:59 am

Yeah, i came back to edit that in but it had been over 15mins :oops:
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

ZDP-189

Post by ZDP-189 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:18 pm

HFMD is a virus and I can find nothing linking it to rats, including no medical studies conducted on rodents. I agree caution is recommended.

HFMD should not be confused with FMD which I believe can infect rats.

flash-gordonette

Post by flash-gordonette » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:32 pm

Don't know about in rats, but wanted to wish your daughter a speedy recovery :luck:

I had Hand, Foot and Mouth when I was little and my throat was so sore I lived off tinned spaghetti and Cornish Icecream for a week! :lol:

(Also, the Mother wasn't impressed with me telling everyone I had "Foot and Mouth" :oops: )
RIP Mr Gregory Bread, Big Bad Billy Bear, Beautiful Barry Role, Sir Ivory Coast, Mr Jeremy Ruffles, Timmy Tatters, Wee Willy Whiskers, Roly-Poly Rodney Hood, Denny Doofus, Larry Love, Mr Minky Mikey-Moo, the wonderful Terry Triviani,Tony Balloney& Bailey Boo and Harvey Wallbanger xxx

Siana

Post by Siana » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:35 pm

According to the CDC website, it can't be spread to animals: http://www.cdc.gov/hand-foot-mouth/index.html
Hand, foot, and mouth disease is often confused with foot-and-mouth disease, a disease of cattle, sheep, and swine. However, the two diseases are caused by different viruses and are not related. Humans do not get the animal disease, and animals do not get the human disease.
And
Hand, foot, and mouth disease is not transmitted to or from pets or other animals.

Return to “Health”