Vaginal bleeding had 3 injections for Pyometra

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Fennic

Vaginal bleeding had 3 injections for Pyometra

Post by Fennic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:00 am

Hi there, recently had a doe diagnosed with pyometra. We found her last friday night lethargic and barely breathing. She was put on a steroid and some Infacol by the vet thinking it was a gassy bloat in her stomach. Sunday she was leaking a dark green colored goup out of her vagina all over herself. We took her back and described this to the vet, he gave her an injection on that day, then we went back on the tuesday for another. There was no sign of the dark green goup after this. She was bright throughout the week being back to herself. Our usual vet went on holiday we ended up with a 20something year old vet treating her. She injected her into her back around the middle rather than her scruff for the last injection she needed to go up with.

The other part is we ordered some baytril on that day and some mite stuff it totalled to £60 which I only had £35 on me to pay off. So we have to go back next week to pay the rest off. She had wrote down on the printout something about a baytril injection. I don't know whats gone on here, but they took the sheet off me when they didn't give us the baytril. (They didn't pour or whatever they do to it and we forgot being stressed and left. Went back for it and they took our recipt so I have no idea whats gone on here but I do know it mentioned a baytril injection and the Xeno)

Kiwi now feels swollen around her womb after lightly touching it she was very discomforted by it. Whenever she changes position theres little blood puddles. I'll be ringing up tomorrow morning and getting her in under emergency.
Owned by rats since 2005. ;)
Ratless. </3
:hearts: To all those that passed before them.:rattyrainbow:

acapae_wolf

Re: Vaginal bleeding had 3 injections for Pyometra

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:03 am

Good luck with the emergency spay. Do you have any metacam at home for the pain?
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:05 am

I do but i'm unsure about administering it to her, shes about 400g or so. Thats about 1ml?
Ratless. </3

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:09 am

Er, I measure it in drops (either from the bottle or a 1ml syringe) - 1ml is a very large amount. If it's dog metacam I'd give her 2 drops (cat is 1/3 the strength) which is a higher-end-of-middling amount. You don't want her to be in pain, but some discomfort will stop her moving about too much. I assume she's in a hospital cage? If you have a heatmat I'd stick that at one end, but not to worry if you don't.
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:14 am

It's the dog metacam. Shes currently only on my lap as i;ve been researching while monitoring her, I've only just found her 15 minutes ago. I'll take it safe and go for 0.5 I guess. I don't have a heat mat, although the room is quite warm already.
Ratless. </3

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:17 am

I wouldn't say going for a guestimate amount of a medication measured in mls is a safer bet than a correct doseage given in drops. 0.5mls is a very large overdose - please don't. You could go up to 3 drops or a bit more, but I'd reccomend starting at 2, giving it half an hour or so, and seeing how she is.
Last edited by acapae_wolf on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:20 am

Fair enough, was going by what my vet had another rat on with a broken foot. I'll take your word for it though and go for the drop.
Ratless. </3

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:22 am

Sorry, I edited and my FR timed out.

I wonder if that was a doseage for cat metacam? Scary! I syringe up maybe 0.1mls of the stuff and then hover the syringe over the med spoon and peer at it :)

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:29 am

Just gave her a second dose. Thanks for the help Beri, i'll keep you updated on her. The stuff was dog, same stuff as I have now. It never seemed to do him any harm oddly. I recall the vet saying smaller the animal bigger the dose with Metacam. I thought it was strange but he did explain it to me.
Ratless. </3

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:35 am

That's quite alright; I've had what feels like a bazillion emergency spays now, so I'm well experienced :roll: Is she managing to eat/ drink alright? Glad your room is warm - it's freezing here!

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:39 am

Shes livened up since shes been sitting here and had some chocolate mousse, the bleeding doesn't seem to be as heavy looking at my pants. I've not handled her to see if it's stopped for a bit. Will when the OH has finished sorting the hospital cage. Not seen her eating or drinking though. I believe she was before this and has been when she got the mousse quite normally.
Ratless. </3

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:51 am

Glad she's looking perkier :) And I'm also glad the bleeding is easing off a bit, but I tend to find that's not really indicative of anything more, if that makes sense. Yay for chocolate mousse too. I'd probably make up some nutritious, proteiny-carby smoosh that temps her to eat so she's got strength for tomorrow. If she's feeling up to eating then drinking shouldn't be a worry.

Since it's been a bit of an ongoing thing now, it could be a wise idea to put her on an iron supplement post-spay - because of course unlike people she can't have a blood transfusion! Iron-rich foods help, but a specific supplement will mean less dependence on that. The best thing to use for rats is a natural iron-heavy water called spatone. It's just really irony water heh. Boots and Superdrug etc. sell it - box of 28 (or maybe 30) sachets of 20mls of water for about £7. They don't need very much per day, just 2-3mls (you may need to cover the taste initially if they find it offputting). If you're unable to get hold of it locally I could bring a bit to Preston if you're still coming?

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:17 am

I currently have fish and spinnach in. I can check in Boots after I drop her off at the vets tomorrow for the stuff. If I can't get hold of it i'll drop you a PM or post here. I should be still coming Preston at this present moment. I'll make her up a fishy plant mix right now and leave her with it.
Ratless. </3

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:25 am

I'm off to bed now, but let me know how it goes tomorrow :luck:

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:22 am

acapae_wolf wrote:Sorry, I edited and my FR timed out.

I wonder if that was a doseage for cat metacam? Scary! I syringe up maybe 0.1mls of the stuff and then hover the syringe over the med spoon and peer at it :)
One formulary that vets use say that 1ml of cat metacam is the correct dosage for a 350g doe as I've had a couple of vets wanting t prescribe it that high before.

Good luck with the spay Fennic.
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

Return to “Health”