Unwell ratty - help!

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Maza3

Unwell ratty - help!

Post by Maza3 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:46 pm

My rat Mishka has suddenly taken ill since Thursday evening. She has lost weight and looks quite weak. She has had Porphyrin around her eyes and nose which i have been cleaning with warm water and a cotton bud as it seems to seal her eyes shut. not eating much and some sneezing. resp infection? any help appreciated.

sbarnett984

Re: Unwell ratty - help!

Post by sbarnett984 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Have you taken her to see a vet?
Sam;

Maza3

Post by Maza3 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:53 pm

i have been looking to find a vet close to me that does out of hours and the closest one is the animal hospital at the university. just wondering if in most cases it can be solved with some antibiotics.

sbarnett984

Post by sbarnett984 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:56 pm

It depends, whatever the solution, it will be with medication prescribed by a vet. If she is losing weight and not eating I would get her in ASAP as weightloss and lack of appetite are strong indicators of a rat going downhill. Has she been getting any fluids?
Sam;

Maza3

Post by Maza3 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:40 am

Just back from the vet. She didn't even really say what was wrong with her only that there is definitely infection somewhere. She's had a couple syringes of water and some soft food since we got back last night. Vet gave her an antibiotic/steroid jab at the hospital and antibiotics to take home. Its about half 7 in the morning and she's still alive. Not gunna lie, was expecting her to have passed away. She still seems very weak but is trying her hardest to move about. Keeping her fed, hydrated and warm is all i can thing of doing besides keeping her company and comfortable. If she dies, she will be my first ratty to goo, so you can imagine how crap i feel just now. I know it sounds selfish if she was suffering, but i really don't want her to die :'(

sbarnett984

Post by sbarnett984 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:42 am

So sorry to hear this :( did the vet say whether it was a respiratory problem or not? What antibiotic have they given her?
Is she managing to eat solids? Is her balance off? Is she able to hold things in her front paws?
Is this vet your normal vet or was it an emergency one? It may be worth looking to see if you can find a rat savvy vet to take her to if there is no improvement by Monday xx
Sam;

Maza3

Post by Maza3 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:10 am

She's pretty lifeless. Cant support her own body weight. Vet gave her enrofloxicin (baytril). She breathing but only just. Heart rate is slowing down. I don't thing she's going to recover. :'(

Return to “Health”