Struggling to eat

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
AlisonR

Re: Struggling to eat

Post by AlisonR » Tue May 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Yep, he's got half a shaved face now... He is a sight!

A lot better, i was worried because he still looked severely ill when we got home but i guess it was a bit soon after. He's munched on a bit of an oreo biscuit as a treat and to check if he could manage hard foods again. All seems okay so far :)

sbarnett984

Post by sbarnett984 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:04 pm

Oh bless him, you must be so relieved!
Were they not able to tell there and then about tooth issues?
Sam;

AlisonR

Post by AlisonR » Tue May 27, 2014 11:16 pm

No, to be honest i felt it was all a rush. Getting us in and out as quick as they could because they were running very late. She only mentioned that there may be other issues if he continues to struggle or there are any more abscesses appearing in the area and that was only after i asked. :?

sbarnett984

Post by sbarnett984 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:20 pm

Hmmm its frustrating when you have to push a vet for more detail or answers :?

Hopefully that's the end of the issue though, and at least you now know the source if he does struggle to eat again :) bless his little cottons.
Sam;

AlisonR

Post by AlisonR » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:26 pm

Okay.... ARGH! So, it's been about two and a half weeks now and I can see a lump forming again underneath his jaw, actually.. it's pretty big. He's not showing outward signs of pain or distress and he's been eating but I know it must be very painful. I've just applied a warm compress and he will be going back to the vets tomorrow after work but I need a suggestion on where to go from here if it's just going to keep reoccurring. It's not one of his front teeth I don't think, I think it's probably a molar issue as its towards the back of his jaw. Can molars be removed? Would this help? Or should I just get it lanced/aspirated again and get them to give me different antibiotics this time? They gave me Baytril and I've seen posts saying that Baytril isn't the best for combating abscesses. What antibiotics should I be asking for? Help :(

I've just started a vet fund pot when I got paid last (because of how much he's cost me in the last threeish months - £240) and if it's the same cost as last time (£83) It'll wipe that out in one go... lol :roll: :lol:

Return to “Health”