Struggling to eat

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
AlisonR

Struggling to eat

Post by AlisonR » Wed May 07, 2014 6:51 pm

This morning I checked the rats before work and Donny was all fluffed up and sat in a bed with the girls, I got some food out of the tub next to the cage and he seemed to perk up and I handed him a bit which he took and was spinning it around in his hands and testing with his mouth but not actually eating it. He then seemed to "brux" but it wasn't quite the same as that and then he'd lick his fingers, I fished out a bit of popped popcorn from the mix and he managed to eat that. I had to rush to work so when I got back I've checked on him and he's the same, fluffed up and struggling to eat but he'll act normal and "de-fluff" if i get him out of the cage. Anyway, while he was out of the cage I had a little press on his teeth and none seem loose or anything and he didn't make any noises when I did it.

I've made him some cooked egg, Pasta and Rice of which he can't quite manage the egg whites but will eat the egg yolk fine, if a little slower than he would normally.
They've had a new set-up as usual every week and I have seem him try to jump from one bit into a hanging "rat exercise ball", and not quite manage it a few times now so I guess it's possible that he caught his mouth on it or something.

Basically I want to know if pain from his teeth could cause him to fluff up, I've listened to his breathing and he's clear and he obviously has an appetite too. Should I just keep making him soft foods and keep an eye on him or would the fluffing up scream something more sinister to you all? I have metacam from when he had an operation about a month ago, should I give him some of this or should I go to the vets?

acapae_wolf

Re: Struggling to eat

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed May 07, 2014 6:59 pm

Basically, yes. Sounds toothy, and fairly high pain. Have you checked his teeth at all? See if they're straight, wonky, overgrown, with a spur etc. Also check colour. A tumour/ abscess can cause secondary tooth pain/ wonkyness too. How old is he? Has he had any painkillers? I'd check him over to see what's up, but unless it's a clear case of overgrowing and you're happy to clip at home and have the ability to do so asap, I would get him to the vets in the next day or so.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

AlisonR

Post by AlisonR » Wed May 07, 2014 7:10 pm

Yes, his teeth seem straight and not loose at all and not overgrown. They meet in the middle, aren't spreading or anything and are orange in colour. He's about 18months old now, I'll give him some painkillers now and get him to the vets tomorrow morning. Thank you

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed May 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Yeah, I would - they can go downhill super quickly with tooth issues :luck:
For tonight, try soaked bread and similar (easy to supplement too) as it's super easy to eat and not at all tooth-pressure-causing.
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Wed May 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Can he hold food ok? I'd also consider early pituitary symptoms. A tooth check should confirm if it's teeth and if not I'd explore whether PT is a possibility as there's a much better prognosis if caught quick.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed May 07, 2014 7:37 pm

RedFraggle wrote:I'd also consider early pituitary symptoms. A tooth check should confirm if it's teeth and if not I'd explore whether PT is a possibility as there's a much better prognosis if caught quick.
That's more or less what I meant by
acapae_wolf wrote:A tumour/ abscess can cause secondary tooth pain/ wonkyness too. How old is he?
Though I prefer to be general about these things, as various tumours/ abscesses in the head region can cause the same symptoms.

AlisonR

Post by AlisonR » Wed May 07, 2014 7:57 pm

RedFraggle wrote:Can he hold food ok? I'd also consider early pituitary symptoms. A tooth check should confirm if it's teeth and if not I'd explore whether PT is a possibility as there's a much better prognosis if caught quick.
I don't really know much about Pituatory tumours, he holds food fine though and he's got good coordination. I hope he's just injured his mouth.

I'll soak some bread now :)

AlisonR

Post by AlisonR » Thu May 08, 2014 7:58 am

This morning I gave him a cheerio to hold and try and eat which he did hold in his hands perfectly well. He's exploring more this morning but he's still a little fluffy when he wakes up, but he's definitely more alert and a bit brighter eyed. Even searching in the substrate for food. Fingers crossed the vet has some good news.

Spelt Pituitary wrong on my last post.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat May 10, 2014 5:04 pm

How did it go at the vets?

AlisonR

Post by AlisonR » Sat May 10, 2014 7:20 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:How did it go at the vets?
Well, they weren't all that helpful in shedding any light, I didn't see his usual vet but the vet i did see gave me more painkillers for a couple of days and I was told to go back if he didn't improve. He has improved, he's back to his normal self as of yesterday evening, zipping around the room and eating his food like there's nothing wrong but whether that's because of the painkillers, I did only gave him half a dose this morning just to see but he seems to be okay this evening. Keeping a very close eye on him now though.

AlisonR

Post by AlisonR » Tue May 27, 2014 9:45 am

Looks like i'll be back at the vets today, he's back to struggling to eat and whether this is related to this issue before or not i don't know but i'm pretty sure i feel a lump on his jaw and he has squeaked in protest when i had a feel and a light squeeze. He's in at 10:50 this morning

sbarnett984

Post by sbarnett984 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:12 am

Good luck at the vets Alison :luck:
Sam;

AlisonR

Post by AlisonR » Tue May 27, 2014 10:17 am

sbarnett984 wrote:Good luck at the vets Alison :luck:
Thank you :). He's having a snooze on my lap before we go but i'll update when we come home.

AlisonR

Post by AlisonR » Tue May 27, 2014 11:48 am

Ok back from the vets, there was a small abscess on the inside of his jaw which she says is why he was trying to eat to the one side last night. I asked if he should be back to eating normally now following the removal and she said "yes unless there are some teeth issues which were causing the abscess". He's had his antibiotics and he's just sat eating a raisin right now. I'll be by the rats cage and keeping an eye for a couple of mins before i have to go to work. He seems a bit drowsy but that could be because he's only come about around 20 mins ago.

sbarnett984

Post by sbarnett984 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:43 pm

Fantastic! So what did they do? Lance the abscess?

How is he now? X
Sam;

Return to “Health”