2 ill girls, lethargic - ETA now diarrhea, from steroid?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Fennic

Re: 2 ill girls, lethargic - ETA now diarrhea, from steroid?

Post by Fennic » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:42 pm

I've got Nessie on 0.2 septrin until thursday to see if I can get control of these poo's. They're orange and squishy BUT coming out in a poo shape and will squish but not stick to things. We've had another girl, who's 2 and half (and with HLD) come down with diarrhea as well. I don't know whats going on. Shes had no contact with Nessie apart from when I tried an intro over a week ago after going the vets while Nessie was sick. I couldn't imagine it takes that long to incubate either? Shes also on 0.2 septrin as her breathing started going bad.
Owned by rats since 2005. ;)
Ratless. </3
:hearts: To all those that passed before them.:rattyrainbow:

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:30 am

I would up your contamination control activities. Handwashing or gloves etc. And clean everyone out thoroughly. What do you feed them and when did you last open a bag or make up a batch?
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:57 am

Batch was made perhaps 2 months+ ago and is kept sealed in a container. Theres been no change to diet, I follow the shunamite recipe. I'll badger OH into cleaning everyone out with me tomorrow. (I can't lift the cages due to some problems)
Ratless. </3

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:58 pm

I don't know what it is but I think there is something odd going on. I think I'd be inclined to bin the food just to try and cover all bases.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Had took the old doe, Dibdab to vets, was colon cancer causing her diarrhea we has her PTS. Nessies poo's have returned to normal. Was about to take her up and she left a healthy clump on sofa. I'm very kind of..against binning all that food, it's about £30 worth. The vet doesn't think it's something viral at all. I'll still thoroughly clean the cages tomorrow though.
Ratless. </3

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Glad you have an independent cause for the older does diarrhea and that Nessie's firmed up. Hopefully you've just had an unlucky but completely coincidental run of illnesses.

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:24 pm

I'm hoping that too. Will notify if anything else goes down. Fingers crossed everyones going to remain healthy.
Ratless. </3

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:28 am

How's your ratty lady now Fennic?

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:45 pm

Sorry I hadn't updated, alive and well You couldn't tell she had been sick unless you seen her weight before and after. She seems oddly closer to me from this whole ordeal. I don't know if it's due to being "over exposed" to me while she was sick or what.
Ratless. </3

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:41 pm

Brilliant! :D

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:14 pm

I could just scream, went into the bathroom this morning, found her half in half out of the house, had a bad gut feeling. Finished my business in there (Their cage is on the floor of the bathroom at the moment because we're sorting out my room, has been for 3 days fianceé is being slow and I can't lift it) she's going back down hill looking neutologically messed up, shes completely alert (only seen her maybe 12 hours ago or less) but shes extremely wobbly on her legs, they was out of the cage since this all happened over a month ago, I put them back in their normal cage (the one she fell sick in first time) and throughly cleaned it. (Could a virus live that long even??) I had gave the cage 3 sprouts and a tiny piece of broccli each yesterday. I can still see 2 sprouts, her sisters are lively as ever. I can't believe this is happening all over again with her. I don't know if I should put her back on veraflox ASAP in case it's a virus OR could the virus even be immune now potentially? I don't think i've got a lot of vera left but I do have septrin, BUT then could it clear whatevers affecting her up even? Fianceé suggested diabetes by giving her too much iron yesterday it could have sent her body a bit weird. I don't know though, and I'm not thinking right, i'm a bit in shock over this. I've gave her some complan to get something on her stomach + rehydrate her if she was dehydrating. I need to call the vet tomorrow morning theres none open i'd step foot in (and i've got no cash due to her running up my bill last time, i'm on a tab at my local vets)
Ratless. </3

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:59 am

Now back on Septrin and had a steroid injection. Not looking any better or worse.
Ratless. </3

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:33 am

Good luck. Sending vibes for your lady.

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:26 am

Watched her climb into the hammock just now (about a foot off the ground) I stood by with the door open in case she slipped. She seems to be re-recovering again. I'm happy but I wish I understood what it is, i'm beginning to get suspicious of a tumor due to her steroid injections. By the time i've typed this out shes on the shelf scratching at herself with her back feet not showing much sign of wobbling.
Ratless. </3

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:21 pm

Afraid she passed away monday morning, she went bad sunday. Was going to get her to the vets monday morning, woke up and she was passed on next to me.
Ratless. </3

Return to “Health”