2 ill girls, lethargic - ETA now diarrhea, from steroid?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Fennic

2 ill girls, lethargic - ETA now diarrhea, from steroid?

Post by Fennic » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:54 pm

previous title: Urgent advice needed (Have been vet!)

We've got 2 does, both extremely lethargic, in with 2 other does who seem completely fine, breathings fine, all organs seem to be fine as well by "feels" (from the vet) They are extremely "out of it" it seems to have came on in under 5 days. One doe is less "lethargic" than the other. Their coordination is also off. He's suggested veraflox until monday if no improvement bring them back in. I've had to syringe baby food, water and veraflox into the worst doe, the other is just about managing to still lap for herself. They've been removed from the cage but not air space currently as I don't know what it could be theres also been no new food, introductions or otherwise changes. The other rats seem healthy and alert. I've not seen anything like this before. Please help.

Note: title amended and thread merged with follow up thread.
Owned by rats since 2005. ;)
Ratless. </3
:hearts: To all those that passed before them.:rattyrainbow:

NellyNoodle

Re: Urgent advice needed (Have been vet!)

Post by NellyNoodle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:15 pm

I'm afraid I have no suggestions really, but didn't want to read and run :(

A pet home of mine had something similar in her 3 young bucks, all going through a period of about 40 hrs lethargy before bouncing back, within a week or so of each other. I had similar in a doe kitten who sadly didn't make it so we think it was some sort of bug.

Really hope it passes, how old are they?

Fennic

Re: Urgent advice needed (Have been vet!)

Post by Fennic » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:18 pm

They're rescues, estimated about 1 and a half, had them for 6 months or so. They're all still very active and lively "typical does"

Had also forgot to mention, the urine and feces seem to be fine, apart from one poo being a bit dark, which is all i've seen her do, I presume it was down to dehydration though, I feel terrible, i've been busy past 5 days, I've only fed and changed water on them, they seemed fine. :\
Ratless. </3

Fennic

Steroid diarrhea?

Post by Fennic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:51 pm

Can an injectable steroid give diarrhea? She had the 24 hour one on Monday, then Tuesday she had the 5 day one. Shes just came off Veraflox as well. She wasn't pooing for over 4 days or so. I didn't keep my last thread updated on here as there was no response when I asked for help. All the info whats happened to her is here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showt ... en-vet!%29 It's the extremely orange and runny kind. Shes been off her food throughout this as well. I'm still worrying something neurological is underlying.
Ratless. </3

acapae_wolf

Re: Steroid diarrhea?

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:55 pm

What dosage?
I've never had steroids cause diarrhoea, but I've only ever used that which is given daily.
eta - I'm confused as to why your history post wanting urgent help is on a rabbit forum rather than a rat one though? I can't read it though through because the RU forum skin makes reading hard.
Last edited by acapae_wolf on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:57 pm

I could only guess by the syringe he used. I'd presume 0.5. He didn't tell me. She's 490g though.
Ratless. </3

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:58 pm

What strength dex though? Injectable dex comes in various strengths, rather than just being a single option. I'd be more likely to blame the AB, personally.
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:59 pm

I honestly have no idea sorry.

As for the rabbit forum. I'd asked here Beri to no avail. Found a few rat owners over there including RedFraggle from here who's been a tremendous help.
Ratless. </3

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:01 pm

Sometimes threads do get missed due to timings or titles - always worth bumping them up/ asking a mod to extend a title when more info is known :)

If you don't know the dose of what was injected, I can't answer.

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Waiting on the vets to call us back over it. Will ask then. Kind of felt "pushy" by bumping I guess.
Ratless. </3

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:14 pm

Ask for dosage info on both steroids and ABs. As said before I'd default to blaming the ABs out of those options drug-wise. What did your vet say about them not pooing for 4 days? Again, could all be related. Hard to attempt to answer anything without information though.

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:20 pm

I wasn't seeing my usual vet as he wasn't in over the fri - sat. The vet told me she thought the lack of pooing was down to her lethargy and how very sick cats and dogs stop pooing when this sick. (If I remember that right) It still didn't seem right to me though. I had been syringing the complan with added babyfood. Shes almost back on her feet but being ever so slightly off her food. Shes running around and wiggling fine though. Still there is something off about her still.

As for the veraflox she was on 0.3 for 7 days. I was told initally 5 days, the other vet wanted her on for 7 to make sure. Still not had the phonecall, going to call again at 4:30 as it was about 45m ago we called.
Ratless. </3

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:25 pm

If food was going in but not coming out that sounds like some sort of blockage. Dogs and cats may stop pooing when that ill, but only because they've also stopped eating. If she's only eating complan/ very liquid baby food, that in itself could be the cause of the diarrhoea, since liquid food results in very liquidy poos.

Fennic

Post by Fennic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:27 pm

Sorry. Should clarify, she's not eaten Complan since monday or so, she started refusing it. She does seem to be eating solids, but has been very "off" with food overall. In a way, i'm not 100% but it's sort of like the signs you see with PT where they can't bite down on food as hard. She passes the other tests that pretty much rule out PT though and I don't think she's got any jaw obstructions or the likes.
Ratless. </3

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:31 pm

There are tests for pituitary tumours (though to actually confirm you need to dissect the brain in a PM), but just because a rat doesn't fully fit the diagnostic criteria for one of them doesn't mean it can't be another placement of brain tumour, or something else neurological.

I'm more confused by your timings now, not less! But still, to me it's sounding like all the poo changes are still most likely linked to dietary changes and ABs. Do you have any probiotics?

Return to “Health”