Foster rat has operation tomorrow - thoughts and prayers pls

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
annc

Foster rat has operation tomorrow - thoughts and prayers pls

Post by annc » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:54 am

This gorgeous girl has the biggest mammary tumour the vet or I have ever seen. He says that the shock of losing such a lot of her body weight could kill her, and she'll have a large incision. However, we want to give her the chance - she's special.

If she comes round without it, it will be such a change for her to be able to get her front legs on the ground properly and to feed normally, and she'll get plenty of soft food etc. Does anyone else have other tips?

I would value prayers and good thoughts for her (and Bradley, the vet who 'likes a challenge.')
Ann Clifton
Slave to :
Ann Clifton - Slave to : Misty-Martina,Dotcom,Dora,Aslan,ReepiSheep, Galaxy, Revel,Twirl,Sparkles,Sapphire,Willow, Diamond,Ash, Delilah, Tiny, Fuzzbutt, Arrow, Thistledown, Bluebell and Rosebay Paw-prints from many rats/hamsters on my heart

Gem_xxx

Re: Foster rat has operation tomorrow - thoughts and prayers

Post by Gem_xxx » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:50 am

You'll be surprised what a rat can recover from. They are very tough animals so don't worry too much (although I know that's difficult!)
One of mine went in for the same operation recently and was back to normal within two hours- despite the incision being over half of his body length! I've always just kept them quiet and warm for a few days with lots of extra fuss and attention. Also keep an eye on the stitches keeping wound area clean and making sure they aren't prone to nibbling stitches out :)

Fingers crossed for her!
Gemstone Rattery
www.gemstone.vze.com (also on facebook!)

Ratilicious

Post by Ratilicious » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Very best wishes for the little girlie :luck: As previously said, just keep her warm & quiet.
Love Is...A Rat

purple_vixen

Post by purple_vixen » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Will be thinking of you tomorrow, Ann :luck:

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Animal Pics * Pixel Juice the LoLRat * Twitter

lamb

Post by lamb » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:31 pm

Wishing your little girl lots of luck. I will keep her in my thoughts. I am sure she will be fine. My lot always amaze me with how well they cope after surgery. It sounds like she has got a lot to live for.
Emma,Salem & Pootle. 2 Ex-Batts Sky & Autumn:hearts:
:rattyrainbow: Vincent,Marley,Tara ,Dexter (aka Poppa Bear),Storm, Hermie,Mr murray man,marina,marnie,Willie,Madeina,Ripley,Faith,Hope, Ygor,Fritz,Snaffles, Raffles,Lugosi,Casper& Billy

annc

Post by annc » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:56 pm

Wish she was my girl, but I have her for two months and a possible 'ratnap!'

With any luck it won't be too easy for her to reach her suture line - otherwise it's Netelast (or clone of it!)
Ann Clifton
Slave to :
Ann Clifton - Slave to : Misty-Martina,Dotcom,Dora,Aslan,ReepiSheep, Galaxy, Revel,Twirl,Sparkles,Sapphire,Willow, Diamond,Ash, Delilah, Tiny, Fuzzbutt, Arrow, Thistledown, Bluebell and Rosebay Paw-prints from many rats/hamsters on my heart

Helzie
Admin Aide

Post by Helzie » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Best wishes for the brave little girl, I hope it goes really well and she makes a full recovery.
Fastnet, Tyne, Humber.

Sailing By: Cromarty ol' curmudgeon Fitzroy O Captain, my Captain Malin bonkers boy Lundy Dear old chap Hebridy handsome beast Thames anxious hamster Faeroe little spark Portland big heart Rockall Rock Star Forties Count on you Viking little marauder Bailey cuddlemonster

Mulberry Jane

Post by Mulberry Jane » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:06 am

Hope she has a whole new lease of life Ann.
Jane @ Mulberry Rats ... and Mulberry kittens too.

http://www.mulberryrats.com

Return to “Health”