Older man front paws clenched?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Gamina

Older man front paws clenched?

Post by Gamina » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:51 pm

I have an old man named Starbuck who will be coming up to 24-27 months at a reasonable estimate (he was a rescue boy). He is suffering with the beginnings of HLD but coping quite well and we have discussed beginning to put him on pain meds. The other boys are being very gentle and we have set up the lower half of our cage which he is happy in. His appetite is still huge and he is bumbling around enjoying the extra foodie treats that come with old age. We believe he has lost a lot of his eye sight. All in all he is a happy, contented chappy who is adapting to his old age.

One thing we have noticed is that when he props himself up to clean he does so with his front paws clenched. He clenches them all the time when cleaning and rubbing them over his head to clean his ears. When cleaning his front paws they are clenched and when he props his hands up to take a drink they are even clenched when he is just standing and eating with his paws in his wet food bowl. The only time he seems to unclench them is when he is walking on them which isn't normal... He does not seem to be in any pain though I have pain meds here if he needs them but I wanted to know if anyone had any idea what this is or have seen the like before?

Do you think we need to start pain medication?
The Battlestar Boys - Adama, Boomer, and Crashdown.

Over the bridge and always loved- Apollo, Starbuck, Helo, Caprica

Tori30

Re: Older man front paws clenched?

Post by Tori30 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:08 pm

I think clenched front paws is a sign typical of pituitary tumours. Im not sure if it can be a sign of anything else though. If it is a PT, while there is no cure, early treatment with steroids +/- galastop can help maintain quality of life for longer especially if started early in the process.

I would take him to the vet as soon as you can ( not as emergency tongiht), and see if the vets think it is a PT, as the earlier treatment is started the more likely it is to be of benefit.

Scritches to your boy x
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

purple_vixen

Post by purple_vixen » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Poor Starbuck. I think that I'd avoid pain relief for now, just in case the vet wants to give steroids.

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Animal Pics * Pixel Juice the LoLRat * Twitter

Gamina

Post by Gamina » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:38 pm

He is eating with them unclenched when he picks up scatter fed foods today.... Having had a look through the green diseases book at PT and brain tumors he has no other symptoms as listed :? We will take him to the vets of course but he isn't lethargic, off food, porphyrin stained or head tilting. His coordination is still good apart from the trouble his back legs have given him for months already (they are losing the muscular feel and he drags them like classic HLD at most times). How quickly would other symptoms follow the hand clenching, as my OH says he has been hand clenching while cleaning for around two weeks now when cleaning (while pregnant and bed ridden I have not been monitoring my boys as closely) the OH is now very worried that he has ignored this as it was one small symptom he didn't connect with a problem :roll: I am worried that with only this one symptom the vet won't link it to a tumor.
The Battlestar Boys - Adama, Boomer, and Crashdown.

Over the bridge and always loved- Apollo, Starbuck, Helo, Caprica

purple_vixen

Post by purple_vixen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:07 pm

How is Starbuck now? :luck:

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Animal Pics * Pixel Juice the LoLRat * Twitter

Return to “Health”