Administring Medication?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Nakoraen

Administring Medication?

Post by Nakoraen » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:08 am

Marina and diamond have been given septrin to take,
but i have no idea how to give it to them, we tried it with mediera cake, but they wont touch it,
i had to force syringe it into Marinas mouth and it was horrificly stressfull for us all :(

they arent bothered about different foods when they come out to play and tend to just pick at anything i put in the cage.

Marina go so stressed last night she was mouth breathing :(

NellyNoodle

Re: Administring Medication?

Post by NellyNoodle » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:40 am

Just out of interest how old are they and what are they on septrin for? It's pretty grim, I was on it as a child and I can still remember the taste! Try chocolate pudding, smart price apple sauce, or even real mashed banana to hide the synthetic banana taste x x

lauren

Post by lauren » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:36 am

Alpro Soya Vanilla pudding wins over even my most fussy of girls :)
formerly lauren23

Gamina

Post by Gamina » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:09 pm

I have a boy who just will not take meds in anything (believe me we have tried the works!!) for us it has to be syringed in straight which is not a nice experience to start with but I have found it gets better. We wrap in a tea towel with only his head showing and place the syringe in the side of the mouth behind the back teeth. Having had to medicate two head tilted gerbils for about 2 years with this method I can say that the calmer I got with it the easier it made it on the animal. The animals themselves got used to it to so it became a routine thing. Not nice to start with, best avoided if you can find food that will work (Starbucks fave is cake and Apollo loved apple baby porridge for his) but it does get easier if syringing is the only way.
The Battlestar Boys - Adama, Boomer, and Crashdown.

Over the bridge and always loved- Apollo, Starbuck, Helo, Caprica

Nakoraen

Post by Nakoraen » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:14 pm

heya all they are on septrin for resp infection, iits 'supposed' to be banana flavoured, but smells anniseedy.
ill try with some puddings but it tends to be they mush theyre squishy tails and butts in it and walk it into the carpet,

ive had to just syringe straight ionto the mouths this morning but both girls squeeked and cried it was horrid!
:(

also theyre roughly 12-15 weeks
Last edited by Nakoraen on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Septrin is super-sweet and there's a lot of it. So something smushy and sweet as reccomended. Rats seem to either love it or hate it, rather than there being a general middle ground. I find it worse than Baytril etc. for disguising. If I have a rat that's going to be prescribed it, I now ask for Tribrissen - exactly the same drug but in tastless pill form, so I can crush it up and hide in whatever. Vets usually stock it as it's standard form for dogs and cats. Good luck with the Septrin though :luck:
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

sian86

Post by sian86 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:28 pm

I managed to get a course down one of my girls by putting it on a bit of bread and then putting some jam on top!
Kept busy by: Jasmine, Button & Roxy, and the boys: Loki & Thor
Missing: Austin, Sparky, Dexter, Ellie, Lily, Womble, Bubble, Snow, Ivy & Odin :halo:

Nakoraen

Post by Nakoraen » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:49 pm

right 8:00 is evening medication time :(
will let you know how we go :hearts: :luck:

Knox

Post by Knox » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:56 pm

For all oral medication I use reduced fat squirty cream and a tiny sprinkle of sugar to mix in the meds/take away bitterness and it works a treat :P
~ Ele ~
Owned by Oreo, Kester, Io, Dimebag, Remus and Chester B!
Rest in peace my angels, Tonks, Mr Socks, Luna, Chino, Bella, Chali, Scout, Atticus, Mouse, Puck, Dill, Neville, Clayton, Boo, Brian, Bertie, Draco and Eric.

Return to “Health”