Unsure what is wrong

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Gamina

Unsure what is wrong

Post by Gamina » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Caprica developed what we thought was a resp infection. He was wheezy and snuffly with classic red discharge around his nose. After listening myself to his lungs at home to confirm what we assumed we took him to the vets who prescribed him baytril as it was the first respy infection he has suffered. A week later there was no improvement but he had not got worse.

We took him back for a check up and he was given an injection of fluids (as despite syringe feeding) he was dehydrated and a baytril-doxy combo of antibiotics. She said she was worried that he was so off his food and water and that it may be something underlying. She couldn't feel anything wrong but he had lost a fair bit of weight.

We took him back just under a week later as he was continuing to lose the weight and she again began to think there was something more to his case and that the respy infection had just been the most visable and monitor-able symptom. She gave him a steroid injection and told us to continue on with his meds. She said the injection would last around 7 days.

In the first few days he began to improve but now... his resp has not got worse but is not improving, he is weaker in his forelegs and lays around a lot in an odd way with his head hanging down and his front paws lax or crossed in front of him. He still has discharge from nose and now from eyes. He struggles to clean himself and this is not helped by the fact that he has very soft stools (I am not sure if the AB are helping this..) We are having to clean him three times daily now to ensure he does not get matted and dirty. He will eat when we spoon feed him mash mix and nutrical but he does not feed himself. He is still active and its so sad seeing him try and show his old character and have his body betray him. We are taking him back to the vets tomorrow but does anyone have any idea what this could be?
The Battlestar Boys - Adama, Boomer, and Crashdown.

Over the bridge and always loved- Apollo, Starbuck, Helo, Caprica

mandypandy

Re: Unsure what is wrong

Post by mandypandy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi just wanted to say i hope your rattie gets better, i havent got that much experience with rats and im sure that someone will come along and give you tons of advice. all i can say is one of my rats has continous resp problems and at the height of it he loses tons of weight, but dont give up hope, rats are tough little critters.
big hugs for Capricia. how old is he?
Home to Redcroft Ratties...
and mother mouse to Ziggie and Lady Gaga and 3 babies
Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all
RIP Buster my beloved 14mths 1/12/12 , Precious Old man Splinter, 28+ mths 9/12/12. little mousie Lucy, run free little ones

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Head hanging over things sounds like he's finding it difficult to catch his breath which is a sign he may have fluid on his chest. I would ask the vet to increase the dose of his ABs, prescribe loxicom to reduce the inflammation in his lungs and a diuretic to help shift the fluid on his lungs. We used this combination on a boy who was suffering a nasty infection recently and it really helped :)
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

SadakoStacey

Post by SadakoStacey » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Since he's had a long lasting steroid injection, meloxicam can't be given at the moment. Both are anti-inflammatories though.
Stacey and the residents of Honeyduke Rattery
Missing all those who had to leave
North of England Rat Society

Stovokor

Post by Stovokor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:00 pm

SadakoStacey wrote:Since he's had a long lasting steroid injection, meloxicam can't be given at the moment. Both are anti-inflammatories though.
Yup Stacey is correct, plus the fact that steroids are FAR better at reducing inflammation than Meloxicam.

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Sorry, I was free ranging and didn't read the post correctly, my fault.

Just as a side note, my vet and I always try loxicom to reduce inflammation before using steroids because of the affect on the immune system when the rat is already fighting infection. I tend to get good results and have only used steroids once since we started trying (about a year ago).

ETA: to the OP, if the rat has soft stools, it's a good idea to give pro-biotics alongside the antibiotics to help with the affects on the gut :)
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:13 am

How long has he been on baytril/ doxy for? I would probably be trying a different AB combination, as rat pneumonia can involve multiple bugs and they don't all respond to the same antibiotics.

I would also get her to check his heart.

Return to “Health”