Mycoform-T??

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
Wicked-Jester

Mycoform-T??

Post by Wicked-Jester » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:11 pm

Hey, my rats keep having resp problems on and off and I'm getting frustrated being at the vets with it for the problems to come back. I got recommended this stuff http://www.ratrations.com/mycoformt-p-227.html

Is it worth trying?

acapae_wolf

Re: Mycoform-T??

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Quick search says no, possibly more dangerous than helpful. But if so, only in combination with actual treatment, rather than instead of.

http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtop ... =38&t=2347
http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtop ... =38&t=2460
http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtop ... 38&t=12598
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:18 pm

The concern with this stuff is that its essentially a blend of oils and that might irritate the respiratory tract rather than ease it ?
I would personally like to see the evidence of its "exceptional benefit" and suitability for Fancy Rats.

There is a similar product by the BirdCare Company (makers of Dr Squiggles) called "Wheeze-eze" which is for misting onto birds with respiratory issues, again it seems to be a herbal extract thing and I would be dubious about using it near my rats.

The only thing Im aware of that is useable in this way is F10 Antiseptic via a nebuliser, which obviously comes with its own issues of making a neb chamber and stressing the ratties, so not sure how effective it is as yet.
Doug, witless provider to :
Ratties :smile: ex-lab boys Boxer and Spot
Budgies Freyja and Haiku.
:rattyrainbow: 43 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Jess :rattyrainbow:

Wicked-Jester

Post by Wicked-Jester » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Thats a shame, I thought I'd ask as I know RR is quite highly regarded and I get worried sticking Baytril in them so much just for the resp issues to appear again - its just so frustrating :|

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:03 am

Inhaling them is more likely to do harm than good.

Ingesting them (which I think is the suggestion for this stuff) is unlikely to do harm (unless the dose is really silly), but there is no clear mechanism for how an inhalant oil will be of benefit when ingested.

If the problem is going away on baytril and coming back off, then it is an active bacterial infection - I'd try a different AB treatment and see if that is more effective. In the past I've wiped out bugs with doxy that baytril wasn't shifting, and wipedout bugs with with draxxin / zithromax that doxy wasn't working fully for.

Wicked-Jester

Post by Wicked-Jester » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:44 am

neotoma wrote:Inhaling them is more likely to do harm than good.

Ingesting them (which I think is the suggestion for this stuff) is unlikely to do harm (unless the dose is really silly), but there is no clear mechanism for how an inhalant oil will be of benefit when ingested.

If the problem is going away on baytril and coming back off, then it is an active bacterial infection - I'd try a different AB treatment and see if that is more effective. In the past I've wiped out bugs with doxy that baytril wasn't shifting, and wipedout bugs with with draxxin / zithromax that doxy wasn't working fully for.
I'll ask the vet for doxy to try then - silly question, but whats the full name of it so she knows what I'm going on about? And what would the dosage be for two 400g ladies?

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Wicked-Jester wrote:I thought I'd ask as I know RR is quite highly regarded
They may not be aware, rather than actively promoting something they know to be bad :) They're primarily bird people, and RR was created as a spin-off from JG because people asked for it. They have loads of stock in their warehouse that isn't online (on either shop website). I'd guess that someone asked them to put it up for sale on the rodent website for people to buy online as well as in person, and they being lovely people, obliged. On this assumption, I've pointed them at this thread now :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:13 am

Doxy is (drug name) doxycycline, usually sold as 20 mg tablets under the brand name ronaxan.

Dose is 5 mg / kg body weight twice a day. For a 400 g rat I'd just do 1/8th of a 20 mg tablet twoce a day (technically the dose for a 500 g rat, but there is enough wriggle room for that to be fine)

Return to “Health”