Sybils spay wound. (Warning - Photo)

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
SaraBloo

Sybils spay wound. (Warning - Photo)

Post by SaraBloo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:45 pm

I'm a little unsure about Sybils spay wound and if it looks okay. All the photos of wounds I've seen, the skin has looked pink and healthy, but hers is looking discoloured. It's not red or green (as far as my eye can tell), but kinda bruised and off colour looking. She's also got little bloody spot at the top of it which have only developed since last night. So I'm wondering if I should bathe it or something. Over all she seems much the same. We let her out on the sofa last night and she seemed to enjoy being out and she's still active etc.

I have irripods (basically saline) and sterile swabs from my own medical drawer I can use, if I do need to clean it.

Anyway, here's a photo of it.

Sorry for making another thread. I was just a bit worried and figured this would be the fastest way to get a response.
Chillin' On The Bridge: Treelo, Gideon Spencer, Sybil, Edith, Cassie & Millie.

acapae_wolf

Re: Sybils spay wound. (Warning - Photo)

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:08 pm

Aside from screen differences, is the photo colour true to real life? It looks like the start of necrosis on mine colour-wise. Little bloody spots at the top sometimes happen though - the other alternative is fluid building up inside, which you won't want :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Yeah, it's taken without flash in natural light so it's probably as true to colour as I can get. She has been cleaning it etc, so I figure maybe that's where the bloody spots are coming from?

Is there anything I can/should be doing?

nmt100

Post by nmt100 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Is she still on the baytril for her resp issues? That will cover any infection and with a spay we always get prophylactic ABs anyway. Its hard to tell on my screen because it almost looks silvery but the blood is probably where she is grooming it. I'd keep a close eye on her and see if you can get someone to whisk the pair of you to the vets if you are worried. Mine will see any post-op problems for free :)
The rats: Willow, Cissi, Bella and Digit. The gerbils: Clara and Oswin
Not forgettting those at the bridge - play hard and run free :rattyrainbow:

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Yeah, she's still on Baytril. And Redrach just reminded me she's glued, she thinks thats what the silvary stuff is.

I'm probably just over worrying because I'm not really sure what its supposed to look like. :oops:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Ahhh, if there's glue and if the vet didn't fold the skin underneath to glue (to aid healing and deter picking), then that'll be what it is :)
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:45 pm

I can't tell if that means there's something wrong, or that's normal then. :lol:

redrach

Post by redrach » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:58 pm

It all looks fine to me. The glue is the silvery stuff, same as was used on Malcolm. The skin colour look normal to me too. Not sure about the blood, is possible she's just picking at it a little.
I suppose it looks like it maybe wasn't glued as well as Malcolms or overlapped all that well as acapae_wolf mentioned.
I wouldn't worry though, just leave her to it.
I'm gutted that I no longer have my babies, due to a massive change in circumstances.

They will always be my babies. I'm heart broken. I'll never forget them.

<3 Rincewinde, Twoflower, Malcolm, Schuster, Splinter, Dumbo, & Branflake. <3
RIP little Monk, and my heroes Albie and Chandler.

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:04 pm

Do the discoloured parts look like bruising at all or does it look sort of crusty? It's really hard to tell from the picture what it is really,
it does look quite extensive but then again the wound itself looks a lot bigger than i'm used to
seeing following a spay, Whispys scar was only around 10mm long but she did have a reaction to the stitches causing
the wound to weep a horrible brown liquid, by the time we'd arrived at the vets it had almost dried up and looked
similar to what I can make out in your photo so it could be that, apparently it was
just granulated tissue and nothing to worry about. I asked about bathing the area and was advised that as long as the
wound was dry just to leave it as wetting it would delay the healing process.

Does the wound smell at all, if so this could indicate either an infection or again a reaction to the sutures, if it's an infection then
she may need a different ab, if it's a reaction to the sutures your vet may decide to remove them, especially if the wound has
already started to heal, other times we've been advised to clean the area with saline but only if there's been a smelly discharge present.

Necrotic tissue can also cause quite a bit of discolouration to the skin and looks similar to what I can make out from your photo but I really wouldn't expect to see that following a spay.

Regardless of what it is i'd definitely make an appointment to go back and see your vet, this is one of the reasons why vets
routinely do post op checks, to make sure the wound is healing okay.

ETA: I never thought of glue being a possibility, probably because i've never seen gluey remnants on any of mine :rollred:
I would still take her for a post op check regardless though even if it is just that, just to make sure everything is okay :luck:

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:23 am

debzratties wrote:Regardless of what it is i'd definitely make an appointment to go back and see your vet, this is one of the reasons why vets
routinely do post op checks, to make sure the wound is healing okay.
This - I think the grey bits are probably excess glue, and the bleeding bit is where she's pulled the glue off. But it is a major wound, so if in doubt get it checked.

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:20 pm

I think the weird colour was the glue, and the blood was her picking it off because it looks a lot different today.

Still looks a bit odd. There's a fold/overlap of skin with the silvery glue down the middle, but it doesn't seem to be open or anything.

I think I was just over worrying.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:23 pm

Looking good :)

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:54 pm

This has been a good learning curve if nothing else. :roll:

redrach

Post by redrach » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:46 pm

Looking very good!
Told ya she was okay ;)
I'm gutted that I no longer have my babies, due to a massive change in circumstances.

They will always be my babies. I'm heart broken. I'll never forget them.

<3 Rincewinde, Twoflower, Malcolm, Schuster, Splinter, Dumbo, & Branflake. <3
RIP little Monk, and my heroes Albie and Chandler.

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:07 am

redrach wrote:Looking very good!
Told ya she was okay ;)
I know I know. :lol:
Can't thank you enough for letting me pester you with my worries these last few days. :P

Return to “Health”