Blood around urthra or vagina area. (Urgent)

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
nmt100

Re: Blood around urthra or vagina area. (Urgent)

Post by nmt100 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:32 pm

SaraBloo wrote:I'm still really worried but, I guess it's for the best.
Our girls do like to worry us. See what the other vet says and then you and they can make a decision. I would go with the exotics vet for surgery because if there is an active infection they need to remove the uterus without it rupturing and they probably have more experience. Make sure you ask all the normal pre-surgery questions too. Oh and see whether they will give you some doxy to go with the baytril for the respy girls will probably clear it up for a good couple of months if you give them a long enough course at that age. :luck:
The rats: Willow, Cissi, Bella and Digit. The gerbils: Clara and Oswin
Not forgettting those at the bridge - play hard and run free :rattyrainbow:

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Well, I just put her back in the cage and there is a droplet of blood on the kitchen roll where she'd been lying sleeping. I think what's happening is when she's active, she is cleaning it away. I just put her back in the cage after waking her up in the carrier and the first thing she did was give down there a good clean.

And yeah, I had originally wanted to talk to Gareth because Redrach from this forum uses him and he's operated on her rats and she recommends him. She hasn't had such a good experience with Michael, but I don't think it's surgery related. She said he also works for our local zoo, so he can be a bit unreliable to get a hold of etc. Which I can understand when you want to try and build a relationship with a vet you trust. It's one of the reasons I didn't like my usual local vet and changed. You couldn't build a relationship with any of the vets because it seemed like there was new vets every week and how good they were varied so much.

But yeah, hopefully she'll be in the best hands and come through it okay.
Chillin' On The Bridge: Treelo, Gideon Spencer, Sybil, Edith, Cassie & Millie.

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:48 pm

SaraBloo wrote:Well, I just put her back in the cage and there is a droplet of blood on the kitchen roll where she'd been lying sleeping. I think what's happening is when she's active, she is cleaning it away. I just put her back in the cage after waking her up in the carrier and the first thing she did was give down there a good clean.
If Peachy was anything to go by i'm sure she'll be trying to remove any evidence of bloodloss in the same way that they also try and hide any other illness. This is how I eventually realised she'd been the one with the problem, I could tell by her body language she didn't want me to notice her cleaning away the blood so I immediately checked her over and there it was, I must have checked her a dozen times before then but she'd obviously been very meticulous when cleaning.

It was late afternoon when we noticed the bleeding and I knew our vet would have finished surgery and would be heading back to her other practice for afternoon surgery (consults), we don't live local to our vet so rather than trail her all the way over there the same day, I rang to let the vet know we might need an emergency spay and had her booked in first thing the following morning for a consult with a view to surgery that same day. If your planning on going to see your vet tonight i'd maybe give them a ring and ask what their procedure is when keeping animals overnight as depending on how well she'd be cared for and how she is in herself she may or may not be better staying with you until morning.

Good luck with her :luck:
i'm sure whatever it is thats causing the problem that she'll feel much better once she's got over the initial op.

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:58 pm

I'm not taking her over tonight because I don't like the idea of leaving there over night tbh. I have an appointment for 10:30am tomorrow. At first I had a melt down because I realised I had no way to get there after my aunt said she's got a hair appointment, but she's moved it to Saturday so she's coming down to take me. She lives like 40 mins away.

So yeah. We'll see what tomorrow brings. I dunno what I'll do if I lose her. Hopefully it will all go okay. :luck:

redrach

Post by redrach » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Fingers crossed for you both.
Afterwards it's prob best to keep her in the carrier for about 24hrs, she'll probably be a bit groggy and sore. I was prescribed ketofen as a pain killer but after the first day Gareth said it wasn't really necessary if he was up & about etc. I gave Malcolm some calpol for about 3 days after though just to be sure he wasn't in pain. No woodshavings or paper bedding in the cage for a few days either (I was told 2 weeks, but someone else suggested only 2 days. I used vetbed for 2 weeks, mostly 'cause it's easier to clean etc)
Also, don't starve her or anything before the op and take plenty of food and a water bottle in the carrier for her and a bowl full for when she comes around from the op.
Trying to think what my other minor worries were, aside from the obvious... Can't think..

Anyways, good luck and keep me updated.
I'm gutted that I no longer have my babies, due to a massive change in circumstances.

They will always be my babies. I'm heart broken. I'll never forget them.

<3 Rincewinde, Twoflower, Malcolm, Schuster, Splinter, Dumbo, & Branflake. <3
RIP little Monk, and my heroes Albie and Chandler.

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Would old t-shirts or fleece cut up be okay for bedding?
Also is it just regular kids calpol and what's the normal dosage?

Just so I know to get some in etc.
I hadn't even thought about needing to take food with her etc. So lucky you mentioned that.

I'm super nervous about her after care. I've never had to look after a small animal after an operation.

redrach

Post by redrach » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:46 pm

Yeah, that would be fine for bedding. Anything material that's not dusty or small itty bits that could get stuck to the wound area.

For the calpol try and get the infant one, not the 6years+ one. For both ones the dose is 0.1ml for every 100g the rat weighs (so .4ml if they weigh 400g). If you get the infant one you can give it every 6 hours, but if you get the 6 years plus it's once a day (or possibly every 12 hours, I can't quite remember). I prefer the infant one as you can give it more regular and if they don't need it as much you can give less easier than the 6+ one.

Yeah, I was so panicked about food etc I asked everyone I knew with rats what to do. I just gave plenty of food and I had some RR soft mix so I left some of that too and plenty of veg too. I also left dr squig rather than water in the bottle and a bowl for water if he wasn't drinking from the bottle. You could also maybe give some baby food or something soft, but it doesn't matter too much as long as they have plenty to eat.

In terms of after care I didn't really do anything... I kept him in the carrier for about 24 hours, quiet and fairly dark. The next morning I let him out on my bed for about five minutes, and then moved him quietly back into his old cage and left him to it. I didn't get him out for free-range for about 3 days after, just to be sure he didn't strain himself or anything. I basically left him alone and avoided going into the room so he could rest. To be honest I was possibly a little too cautious, but he did seem quite fragile when I first brought him home.

Also bear in mind they'll probably give you a sheet home with care instructions. The one they gave me was obviously used for rabbits (as they'd not changed one of the 'rabbits' to 'rats'...) so it said like, no introductions for 4-6 weeks when they can be done after 2, etc.

One last thing, if possible, get them to glue her rather than stitching her. I got Malcolm glued 'cause I'd read horror stories about stitches causing irritation and abscesses etc plus they have nothing to chew out if it's glued and therefore less risk of reopening the wound. They'll go through everything about the surgery when you go in, so just ask then and they'll answer any other questions you may have.
I'm gutted that I no longer have my babies, due to a massive change in circumstances.

They will always be my babies. I'm heart broken. I'll never forget them.

<3 Rincewinde, Twoflower, Malcolm, Schuster, Splinter, Dumbo, & Branflake. <3
RIP little Monk, and my heroes Albie and Chandler.

nmt100

Post by nmt100 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Good luck for tomorrow. I'm sure sybil will be fine but I know how much I worry when they are in :luck:

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:24 pm

Well, Sybil is back home and all. Turned out not to be Michael who did it, it was a woman but she seemed nice and knowledgeable. She thought there was a lot of blood and basically said what people had said here about the fact we wouldn't really be sure where it's coming from unless they did the spay, and that it was best to do it now because she could go down hill very fast and it would give her less chance getting through it.

Anyway, after it was done she said there was no evidence of any tumours in her womb and her bladder also looked normal. She did say though it was possible there was maybe a low grade tumour starting and that's where the blood was coming from. I assume there was no puss etc to indicate infection.

Hopefully we were right to think it was her womb, I mean her urine was completely clear of blood so you would think if it had urinary/kidney/bladder that her urine would have been pinky or something.

They said they gave her painkillers during the op and that they should last 48 hours, but I got infant calpol for her anyway. When should I give that to her?

Also, is it normal for her sides to be sunken in and kinda sucking in sometimes? Not at her chest, like.. down round her tummy at the sides.

nmt100

Post by nmt100 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Do you know what pain relief they gave her? In terms of her belly she will probably get painful cramps for a bit so she may be intentionally pulling her stomach in to try and relieve the pain (just a guess though)? Glad she came through ok :)

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:01 pm

Thats great news, i'm so glad everything went well for her :D

As for pain relief I've always been advised to wait 24hrs if they've been given Metacam during surgery, i've had a few girls that have been given an opiate based painkiller instead and the effects tend to last between 24-48 hrs so thats what she may have had, it should be on you receipt what drugs have been administered, i've only ever used Metacam post op and I normally give them a daily dose for the next 2 days and then only if I feel they need it after that.

And yes, looking all sucked in following a spay is totally normal and absolutely nothing to worry about, i'd been warned to expect this prior to having Whispy spayed but it was still a shock when I went to collect her, she was only tiny to start with which made it all the more shocking to see. Peachy was nearly 200g heavier than Whispy and had a lot more padding so it wasn't very noticeable with her.

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Oh, I'm not sure what painkillers they gave her. They may have said and I've forgotten, but I don't think they did.

Tbh, she's always been a bit side sucky there when her respyness is playing up, and she's a different shape to my other rats where her waist is thin but she's tubby up top. It just seems more exaggerated now. She's sleeping at the moment but when the vet phoned she said she was very active and almost jumping about. By the time I got her she was a bit sleepy again, but still a bit inquisitive when she's awake.. especially when we got back to the house she was up sniffing.

But yeah, I'm so relieved. I was so scared. Hopefully she'll make a good and swift recovery.

It doesn't seem to say on her receipt what pain relief they used. I had asked if she'd need pain relief at home but they said it should give her 48 hour relief and after that she should be okay. Is it possible if she had the calpol whilst the other drugs are working on her there might be a bad effect or something? I don't want to do anything wrong, but I also don't want her to be in pain. I know they're a bit different to us, but I can't imagine having no pain two days after having my womb removed. Lol.

Tori30

Post by Tori30 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:26 pm

I only have boys, but when I had one boy castrated he had metacam injection durig the op, and then oral metacam for five days. My last boy to be castrated was given vetergesic (strong opiate based med) and started oral metacam 24 hours later. All my boys that have had ops have had a good few days of pain relief afterwards.
Owned by Fury, Banner, Thor, Loki, & Rocket xxx
Missing all my boys: Milo, Boo, DeeJay, Seth, Ozzy, Ren, Stimpy, Lewis, Jenson, Martin, Rummage, Groot & Stark xxx

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Yeah. I find it odd when they spay animals and don't supply pain relief for a few days later. If I start giving her calpol in 24 hours should it be okay?

Stovokor

Post by Stovokor » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:32 pm

SaraBloo wrote:Yeah. I find it odd when they spay animals and don't supply pain relief for a few days later. If I start giving her calpol in 24 hours should it be okay?
Yes, or you could give her some sooner, as it's quite safe to mix different classes of painkillers at the normal dose.

Return to “Health”