Blood around urthra or vagina area. (Urgent)

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
SaraBloo

Blood around urthra or vagina area. (Urgent)

Post by SaraBloo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:31 pm

I've been cleaning out my rats, and whilst putting them back in their cage my sister noticed that Sybil has fresh blood around her urethra vagina area. So I'm kind of in a panic it being this time at night etc.

What could it be and what should I do? Should I keep her in the main cage or separate her? I can take her to the local (not great) vet in the morning.. I wouldn't be able to take her to the better vets until tomorrow night as my dad isn't gonna take me until after work.

She seems okay in herself, bright as usual.
Chillin' On The Bridge: Treelo, Gideon Spencer, Sybil, Edith, Cassie & Millie.

neotoma

Re: Blood around urthra or vagina area. (Urgent)

Post by neotoma » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:22 am

It's likely to be either a UTI (if the blood is from the urethra), or a womb / ovary problem (may or may not be an infection) if from the vagina. So trying to work out where the blood is coming from is important.

I would get her to the vet as soon as possible, but if the blood is from the vagina, then she is likely to need spaying fairly soon, so it's best to see the one you trust.

Do you have any antibiotics at home?

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:38 am

I'm pretty sure it's from her urethra. It was right on the little nub, if it was her vagina it would have been further back wouldn't it? I went for a second look to be sure but she'd already preened all the blood away. I noticed there was some on a wood ledge she sits on, so I assume the blood started some time today as she was out yesterday and we didn't notice anything. I had posted on here about a very strong urine smell that had developed this week, is it possible it's connected if she's got a UTI? Though she did squeak when she got lifted and that's unusual for her.

I have a bit of a dilemma about taking her to the vets. I can't go to the vet I usually use until 6pm tomorrow as it requires driving and my dad can only take me after work. The two vets within walking distance are one I haven't much confidence in concerning rats and the other I've not used before. Do you think any vet is better than no vet, or waiting until 6 and seeing a better vet? I dunno which is the lesser or two evils waiting or not. I was thinking of calling the one I've not used and seeing what their experience with rats is like. I guess I'm wondering how fast these things can go down hill if shes still bright, drinking and eating at the moment.

Also, I have a 2 week course of doxy at home but I'd have to start it tomorrow as I'm already in bed (Can't get out because I'm disabled. Couldn't stay up any longer cos my parents wanted to sleep.)

nmt100

Post by nmt100 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:55 am

If its a UTI you will want septrin to treat it. If you are absolutely sure that it is coming from the urethra then you could go to the vets in walking distance and take info from forums here and rat medication guide on septrin and try convince the vet to give it to you (you may have to get a human prescription of the paediatric suspension and take it to the local pharmacy if they don't stock it though). If you are not sure where the bleeding is coming from take her to the rat savvy vet as soon as your dad can take you as they can then decide the best course of action :luck:
The rats: Willow, Cissi, Bella and Digit. The gerbils: Clara and Oswin
Not forgettting those at the bridge - play hard and run free :rattyrainbow:

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:21 am

If it's a UTI and that's where the blood is coming from, how like.. red and thick/bloody can it be? Because it didn't seem diluted really. I've checked her this morning and there's no blood at the moment (assume she's cleaning herself) and she's still eating, so she's not got any worse from last night.

My mums gonna cycle round to the vet I've not been to and ask them about their experience with rats, and try and get a general feel for the place. Just I find sometimes you can get a bit fobbed off by the receptionists in places when you ask questions and my mums a bit more... ballsy than me.

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:01 pm

Guh, now I'm second guessing myself. I'm not so sure it is coming from her urethra now. I put her in her carrier on some white tissue and there was a little spit of diluted blood but she peed and it looked normal. My mum had already made an appointment with the close by vet because he said it sounded like something he'd deal with. He said they'd handle mostly routine things like things needing antibiotics and anything more serious they refer them to the vet I usually use.

They can't give us an appointment until after 5pm anyway, so now I'm thinking if it is coming from her vagina that I might have been better just going to the further away vet if I'm gonna end up there anyway. But my mums annoyed because she doesn't think it's right to make an appointment then cancel it. :/

neotoma

Post by neotoma » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:09 pm

If the nearer vet refer to the further vet anyway, then it might be worth just seeing them, and getting her assessed and onto antibiotics (septrin for UTI. I'm not sure what is best for a womb issue - spaying is usually considered necessary in those cases anyway, not least because they aren't always infections). What you really need now is a diagnosis, so go with whoever you think can give you that.

I wouldn't worry about cancelling appts though - if you do it with a few hours notice, they can probably fill it with someone else ringing up. Make the decision you feel is right for her.

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:45 pm

Over the last couple of days her resp issues have flared up again, would they consider spaying her before that was cleared up a bit with antibiotics?

I'm gonna see the nearby vet because I'd like to check out the practice anyway, and if he's already said they'd refer her if they didn't know what it was/felt she needed someone moe experienced I guess that's better than a vet pretending he knows everything or try something he's not actually good at just to keep it within the practice.

So yeah, I couldn't get a much earlier appointment, it's at 5:20pm but at least my dad won't be annoyed he's got to come in straight from work and take me straight away to the vets.

Any tips on transporting rats on foot?

nmt100

Post by nmt100 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:08 pm

SaraBloo wrote:Over the last couple of days her resp issues have flared up again, would they consider spaying her before that was cleared up a bit with antibiotics?
Depends on the issue. If its a tumour/polyp or something then they may give a couple of days to get some ABs in her first then spay. If its a pyo (although I assume you haven't seen any gunk) then its an emergency and unless its really bad resp issues then my vet will spay straight away.

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:21 pm

Yeah, someone else suggested it could be pyo so I did a bit of research and since have been looking out for any gunk/pussy stuff. I've not seen any. To be honest, I've not seen much blood since last night but she's very licky around her back end so that's probably why.

If it is from her vagina, is spaying the only option? I mean if they tell me to put her on ABs to see if the bleeding clears up, is it likely to persist or just come back? I just want to be sure the vet is giving me the right info. When my mum talked to him he seemed to think this may just be a one off thing and stop itself. So I should just monitor her if she's still happy and eating etc. I decided to take her for peace of mind anyway. Is it true they can have this as a one off thing or something?

I just want to have as much info as I can before I go so I know when the vet is telling me the right thing or not.

nmt100

Post by nmt100 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:53 pm

Personally if there is bleeding from the vagina I would spay. Bleeding is probably going to either be infection which, could quickly turn into a serious pyo or a bleeding polyp/tumour of some sort which is going to require a spay anyway.

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Okay. I just want to be sure the vets giving me the right options etc.

And now it's raining like cats and dogs... so I can't walk (electric wheelchair + rain does not mix) and we can't get a later appointment. So my dads going to have to leave work, take me to the vets then go back to work. I hope he's not too angry at me. :oops:

I really don't want to leave her until tomorrow.

nmt100

Post by nmt100 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Must be a pain not being able to go anywhere when its raining like this! If you get a chance to read this before you go. They may suggest trying ABs first if they think it is a uterine infection but in that case I would be tempted to push for co-amox (and get pro-biotics to if you haven't got any at home) and when they tell you its not suitable for small animals remind them rats aren't herbivores and its fine. Tell us what they say when you get back and we (well I'd listen to Alison over me) can advise from there. :luck:

SaraBloo

Post by SaraBloo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:32 pm

I don't usually mind, it's only when it's something like this where I'm worried my animal is suffering and my dad is going to be really annoyed at me.

Anyways, I'm back. He said there was quite a bit of blood around her vulva and he's put her and my other wheezy ones on a course of Baytril as he wants to rule out infection plus she's a bit wheezy too. They're on 0.25mls once a day. I've got to monitor for a week and if it eases he said he'd extend the course of Baytril but if it gets worse or doesn't ease any he's going to scan her for womb problems.

He then said if there was anything then we would talk about spaying. He thought with her only being 7 months that she was maybe a bit young for something like pyo, but I think spaying is probably the inevitable outcome as the way the blood is it doesn't seem like it's in her urine. It's kind of like spotting like when a human is on their period. He said he can do rat spaying and it costs between £85 to £100.. to which my dad said when the vet left the room "You'd be better just getting a new one." :evil: I hope he was joking. Lol.

So yeah.. How long should a Baytril course be? The amount I have doesn't seem that much for 3 rats. I'm not sure if he wants to monitor the wheezy ones for a week too.

nmt100

Post by nmt100 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:09 pm

For resp issues we give a combination of doxy and baytril for a minimum of 14 days but I've never given baytril alone, our vet doesn't believe its useful for resp issues on its own.

In regards to be too young to get a pyo...Yes pyo is normally seen in older rats because its basically infection of the womb lining and normally occurs following hormonal changes and the womb fills with pus (http://ratguide.com/health/reproductive/pyometra.php) but that could occur as a result of an ovarian cyst or tumour or she may just have a hormone imbalance. We lost a rat with a massive ovarian tumour which had spread to other organs in the abdomen and she was pts at 11-12 months so although she is young its not impossible. If it is an infection then it may clear up but be aware that they normally recur in rats that have had them previously. Hope she gets better soon :luck:

Return to “Health”