Castration done, questions now.

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
redrach

Castration done, questions now.

Post by redrach » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:42 pm

Malcolm was castrated today, everything went wonderful and he's home.
The vet gave me ketofen for pain relief, I did a quick search on here and nothing came up. I was looking to double check dose, 0.2mls daily for the next 4 days, he must weigh about 400g but I haven't checked (I'm sure the vet did). And was also wondering if anyone knows if it's particularly unpleasant (like baytril) and what foods would be best to try with?

I was also wanting to check, the nurse said to keep him off wood shavings for 2 weeks as they can irritate the dissolvable stitches and the wound, is this right? He's staying in the carrier on fleece overnight regardless.

It also says he will remain fertile for 4-6 weeks (it seems they've used a rabbit castration sheet and added in his name... so I'm not sure because I thought I read 10-14 days though most go for 14, and the nurse did say off the bedding and away from non-spayed does for 2 weeks) ?
I'm gutted that I no longer have my babies, due to a massive change in circumstances.

They will always be my babies. I'm heart broken. I'll never forget them.

<3 Rincewinde, Twoflower, Malcolm, Schuster, Splinter, Dumbo, & Branflake. <3
RIP little Monk, and my heroes Albie and Chandler.

neotoma

Re: Castration done, questions now.

Post by neotoma » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:48 am

Can't help on the drugs or bedding (not come across either of those issues).

For fertility I've heard everything between 8 days and 4 weeks. I think vets tend to say 4 weeks to cover themselves - 2 weeks is considered safe by most people here.

redrach

Post by redrach » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks.
I spoke to my vet again, he said the meds can give them upset tummies so only to give it if he was indeed looking in pain, not up and about or chewing at the wound. He said I could give calpol instead if I was worried, which I gave a little bit of. He's been great though, back to his usual cheeky and playful self within 24hrs.
He's on vetbed at the minute, and I think I'll keep him on it about a week and will begin intros after 2 weeks if things are going well for him.
I'm gutted that I no longer have my babies, due to a massive change in circumstances.

They will always be my babies. I'm heart broken. I'll never forget them.

<3 Rincewinde, Twoflower, Malcolm, Schuster, Splinter, Dumbo, & Branflake. <3
RIP little Monk, and my heroes Albie and Chandler.

purple_vixen

Post by purple_vixen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:00 pm

I pop my guys back onto their usual cardboard bedding post-op, if they are mobile and pootling around and grooming normally. If they were quite sleepy and wobbly and in need of nursing until they came around properly, I might use fleece initially, but I usually put them back in their usual cage with their usual friends and usual setups ASAP.

Vix.
'There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.' - The Smiths, 'Handsome Devil'.

Animal Pics * Pixel Juice the LoLRat * Twitter

Return to “Health”