possible stroke/ brain tumour?

Discussions relating to all aspects of a rat's health and physique
hardcorejillz

possible stroke/ brain tumour?

Post by hardcorejillz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:21 pm

Over the past 3 days, I noticed that my female rat Poppy (whos 16 months old) looked like she was showing early signs of HLD, she spent more time on bottom of cage & struggled to climb. On freerange she was still very active, but again refused to climb over the furniture as she usually does.
Last night, she had gone downhill rapidly- her eyes were bulging out & she has porphoryn around her eyes & nose. She also feels thinner. When I lifted her out she just wanted to curl up in my arms & lick my fingers. I put her on the floor & she started circling as if her left side was paralysed. After a few mins, she straightened up again & had a little run across the floor.
This morning she is curled up on bottom of cage & has more porphoryn. When she heard me, she started moving around & walking into things as she was very disorientated. My other female (who is normally less dominant) has started pushing her away from the food & water.
Im taking her to the vets first thing in the morning. If its a stroke, I will ask about steroid injections. If its a brain tumour, is there anything that can be done or is it best to have her PTS? What does it sound like to anyone else?
The exact same thing happened to one of my first rats, but vet wasnt sure exactly what had happened to him. Poppy is my fav rat out of the 5 I have left, so I'll be devastated if I lose her :cry:
Mummy to Poppy, Pippin, Rodney, Timmy, Stewie & Spud x
R.I.P Bubble, Squeak, Taz, Shady, Henley, Turbo & Scooby x

neotoma

Re: possible stroke/ brain tumour?

Post by neotoma » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:56 pm

It's a very difficult decision, which can only really be taken on your assessment of her quality of life. Steroids can provide temporary relief from brain tumour symptoms by reducing the swelling in surrounding tissue and they may also slow growth a bit.

It might be sensible to treat for a brain infection as well - if you are using steroids you'll need antibiotic coverage anyway.

I have to admit though, I usually pts in this situation.

tofu monkey

Post by tofu monkey » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your girl, this is such a terrible situation to be in. Your girl's situation sounds identical to that of my girl, Ixnay, who had a PT. She too began to struggle climbing and spent her time lounging around on the floor of the cage. She then started circling and seemed really disorientated. Whenever she heard my voice, she would spring up like she was in a panic and try and get to me, falling over and going in every direction as she couldn't walk in a straight line. Her nose was always covered in porphyn as well.

I would suggest that if you think it's a tumour and you want to try steroids, act quickly. My vet was a little hesitant at first about what Ixnay had and this meant there were a couple of days wasted while he umed and arrred.

However, I hate to be so negative bu I agree with neotoma. Steroids didn't work for my girl and I came home one day to find her extremely distressed. On the way to the vets she became even more stressed and was flinging her head back because my movement was too much for her. She was such a sorry state when she was put to sleep and I regret not doing it sooner.
R.I.P my angels :halo: Tofu Monkey, Zombie Apocalypse, Robot Timberwolf,
Wasabi Ninja, Vegan Straightedge, Charlie Peaceful, Aslan Griffindor, Bree Van Der Rat,
Mouse Kateer Mcstare, Courfeyrac Karimloo, Ixnay Dafoe, Shenzi Kiumbe, Cleveland Chaos.

hardcorejillz

Post by hardcorejillz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:00 pm

thank you for your replies & kind words. Poppy is worse tonight. She has lay curled up in my arms for past few hours & cant seem to walk at all now. I have just put her back in her cage with a few bits of moist veg to try to tempt her to eat. She did lick a few drops of malt paste off my fingers, but not sure if shes ate anything else. I was hoping that she would pass away peacefully in my arms, but I decided she'd feel more at home in her cage. If she is still alive in morning, I think it will be a case of having her pts- doubt that steroids etc will help as shes so depressed & disorientated. Just cant believe how quickly this has happened! Up until Thurs, she was the most active of my rats :cry:

nicrat88

Post by nicrat88 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:38 pm

= ( I'm sorry to hear that, and I think you know you are making the right decision, it just seems worse when it's so sudden - a couple of years ago my rat Honey had something similiar, I literally woke up one morning and she was on her side. She couldn't move her feet and even when placed upright she slumped and fell, she couldn't even lift her head properly but she was moving her limbs trying to get to me. We went to the vets straight away, and I was told it was likely PT as she was trying to move, but her feet were floppy. I was given the option of steroids, but I was told that given how quickly it had happened that they were unlikely to help, and I decided to have her PTS.

My thoughts are with you, and know you are doing the right thing for her

Nic
XxX
Currently Rattie Mum to: Luna, Dobby and her kitts. Lost but not forgotten: <3 Daisy, Missy, Honey, Whiskey, Vincent, Jules & Snufkin <3

hardcorejillz

Post by hardcorejillz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Im totally distraught! I had Poppy put to sleep earlier :cry: Vet did say he could try treating her for a brain infection, but she was so pathetic looking & miserable that I decided not to prolong her suffering any further. Her eyes were all stuck together with black porphoryn (the vet said she was blind, but I dont think she was) & her legs looked twisted cos she couldnt straighten them properly. Im so gutted, cant stop crying! Now I have one lone female, one lone male & 2 very dominant males, who wont accept the other male & I cant think what to do next! Thats it, no more rats! (I always say that when I lose one, but always change my mind)!

redrach

Post by redrach » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Hey Jillz, I sent you a msg on facebook, but I just wanted to say here too that I'm so sorry and I'm thinking about you and the ratties.
RIP little Poppy, run free pet.
I'm gutted that I no longer have my babies, due to a massive change in circumstances.

They will always be my babies. I'm heart broken. I'll never forget them.

<3 Rincewinde, Twoflower, Malcolm, Schuster, Splinter, Dumbo, & Branflake. <3
RIP little Monk, and my heroes Albie and Chandler.

Return to “Health”