Can I ask for rat breeders suggestions in the south west pls

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Bob34

Can I ask for rat breeders suggestions in the south west pls

Post by Bob34 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking for a pair of young rats to add to my family and have decided to go with a breeder as it's my kids first pets.

I have heard to some real horror stories about some registered breeders so I'd really appreciate some recommendations of rat breeders around Bristol or Cardiff. I'm also willing to travel.

Thanks a lot for your help

Bob

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Can I ask for rat breeders suggestions in the south west

Post by Rhian33 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:09 pm

There are no registered breeders in South Wales but there are some just over the bridge . You can find details on the NFRS breeders list http://www.nfrs.org/NFRS_Breeders_List.pdf . I will PM you about some rescue kittens I'm aware of too.
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

Bob34

Post by Bob34 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:19 pm

Thanks for the link and the PM.

I was looking more for recommendations of breeders that people have had experiences with and know them to be good/responsible as on some forums they've mentioned registered breeders that aren't.

Btw as this is my kids first pets I was planning on not going down the rescue route to try and increase the chances of it being a long and happy friendship.

Thanks again for the advice it's really appreciated.

Bob

Jem Q

Post by Jem Q » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:36 pm

There's a show in Cardiff in November - that might open up your options a bit if you're able to travel to it.
http://nfrs.org/shows.php?month=11

Registered breeders' ethics will vary as much as non-registered breeders, so it depends on your own ethics and what your idea of a good breeder is.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:33 pm

Bob34 wrote:Btw as this is my kids first pets I was planning on not going down the rescue route to try and increase the chances of it being a long and happy friendship.
On average, rats from a good breeder should be healthier and longer-lived than rescue or pet shop rats, but behind those averages is a huge amount of individual variation. I recently had a 9 month old breeder rat die – totally not the breeder's fault; it was a rare cancer with no known genetic or environmental cause, so just utterly rotten luck – whereas I've got 2 rescue girls who are coming up for 28 months old and still brilliantly fit and active for their age. (Granted, one of them has 2 chronic health conditions, but that too can happen with well-bred rats.) So do go to a breeder if you feel that's the best choice for you – I have in the past and will again in the future – but don't necessarily write off rescues either.

I would recommend contacting any breeders you're thinking of going to, and asking about any aspects of their husbandry that you're concerned about or interested in. A good breeder should be happy to answer your questions (in fact, they should be happy to have a prospective owner who is asking questions) and not get offended by it. Before I got my breeder girls, I went to the breeder's house so she could meet me in person (and so I could meet her and see how she keeps her rats). That sort of meeting is a really good way to get a feel for a person, see how they do things, and ask questions. Recommendations from people on here will only be as good as the person making the recommendation: your requirements and your ethics aren't necessarily going to be the same as anyone else's.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

ElizabethW

Post by ElizabethW » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:17 pm

I would totally agree with what Cub is saying, especially about individual variation. We're in South Wales too (not far from Swansea) and during the past three and a bit years we have had a mixture of breeder and rescue rats. We've had bad luck this year with a couple of our breeder boys (both 'one of those things' and absolutely nothing to do with the breeder) yet one of our little rescues died peacefully in February at a good old age with no issues apart from dodgy back legs....the two rescue boys we have now had a bad start in life but are fit and happy.

It's also good to remember that rats travel incredibly well; last weekend we had a 3 hour train journey to pick up two kittens and they weren't phased at all :)
Perkin, Bramble, Teasel, Oswald :love:
Fizz, Cuddles, Bubbles, Horace, Ollie, Humphrey, Fergus, Max, Monty, Pootle, Roger, Marley - "All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle"

Bob34

Post by Bob34 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:27 pm

Hi again.

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the great advice, we've had a few names so fingers crossed it works out soon.

I can't wait to have a pair of new additions to the family :)

Bob

NellyNoodle

Post by NellyNoodle » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:04 pm

I'm in the Forest of Dean :)

Return to “Other care”