Breeding roan and topaz

All other topics relating to rat care which have not been covered above
Weet88

Breeding roan and topaz

Post by Weet88 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:59 am

:D hi folks just a quick query. If I bred my topaz top eared boy ( topaz parents) with my blue roan dumbo girl (roan mum black Berkshire dad )what kind of litter would I be expecting.

And please note this is to keep the entire litter myself. As I have copious amounts of space and cage room.
Thank you ☺

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Breeding roan and topaz

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:32 am

Regardless of what varieties you would expect (they would actually most likely all be agouti top eared rats, possibly also some black), you won't know what sort of health and temperament they will have, which isn't really fair on the rats themselves, nor on your purse. Would you be able to neuter all the bucks if necessary (perhaps up to 15 rats)? How will you cope (financially and emotionally) when they all get old at the same time?

If you have space for more rats (and a whole litter could mean up to 20 rats), then I would recommend that you help out some of the rats in rescue who badly need homes instead. :luck:

p.s. Welcome to the forum :)

Weet88

Post by Weet88 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:44 am

Why wouldn't I know their health ? I know their lines as I got both from same breeder different lines I have 9 rats currently 4 males are neutered just not my topaz . I have 2 liberta explorer doubles 3 Mamble 100s as spares and I was thinking of buying a srs xl. Room and time are what I have. As for expenses I run my own business so I think I'm pretty secure on money aswell .. 4 of my current rats are rescues as are both my dogs so I have rescued before . I just wanted to know what colours they would have is all . I have had litters in the past but only blacks and Russian blues hoods and self . Haven't done a litter outwith those colours .

P.s thank you ☺

Jem Q

Post by Jem Q » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:26 pm

I'd have a good look at what you think makes them an ideal pairing, and what you can expect from the pairing in terms of health, temperament etc.

Varieties of the kittens would depend entirely on what the parents carried if anything, so I'd suggest asking your breeder what genes are lurking in their lines if you really want to go ahead and breed them :) Often rats from completely (or even mostly) separate lines don't have the "best" F1 offspring, so you'd need to be prepared for potential issues there.

Assuming you have permission from their breeder to breed them (which I'm sure you have), they're probably best placed to mentor you on what to expect - although I would definitely suggest reading up on genetics and researching the lines as far back as possible before going ahead :)

Return to “Other care”