Fresh foods suggestions

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
oowie

Fresh foods suggestions

Post by oowie » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:00 pm

Can you give me some examples of frehs meals you feed to your younger rats, and how much you feed?
formerly izi

[cub]

Re: Fresh foods suggestions

Post by [cub] » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:01 pm

I mostly haven't given my rats fresh meals as such. They do get fresh food every day, but it's usually just trimmings of whatever vegetables we're having, or some mixed frozen veg. I give the same weight in fresh as they get in dry mix, though apparently that's a lot compared to most people. Once a week they get egg or fish or meat instead.

Lately I've been experimenting with some simple fresh meals, just some mixed grains from those microwave grain pouches (which I freeze in ice cube trays), some mixed pulses from a similar type of pouch, and some mixed frozen veg. I have reduced the amount of dry mix to compensate; feeding mostly fresh veg is one thing, but actual balanced meals with carbs and pulses is another.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Din the Sith Lord, Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

frodo quin

Post by frodo quin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:34 pm

Some things I feed my rats regularly when they are young:
-broccoli with lentils and quinoa
-celery and tofu (blended)
-Pak choy, sweet potato (blended) and chickpeas
-kale, nettle and yofu (blended)
-pumpkin, peas, and homemade seitan (gluten flour and chickpea flour)
-a salad of leafy greens, chicory, carrot, sweet paprika, fresh corn, avocado… with herbs like coriander, parsley… and either sprouted lentils, cooked beans or nuts and seeds
-berry’s and other fruits on occasion.

I keep on feeding the same types of food when they get older, but I feed less protein and a bit les starches and more vegetables. I cook things that they don’t eat raw, but I find nutritionally important and blend things that they don’t like on their own. I also try to offer them a lot of variety, but I do cook in batches and freeze meals.

You are feeding a grain mix as a dry food, wright?

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:52 pm

I would have never thought of making seitan for the rats! I'm making it tonight so I may well put some aside that's not heavily seasoned for them to try.

frodo quin

Post by frodo quin » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:12 pm

Feolthanos wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:52 pm
I would have never thought of making seitan for the rats! I'm making it tonight so I may well put some aside that's not heavily seasoned for them to try.
That’s how I do it as well. I make their pumpkin – seitan dish when I make mine, but I don’t season theirs or only put some rat appropriate herbs in theirs.

How did they like it?

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:59 pm

frodo quin wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:12 pm
Feolthanos wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:52 pm
That’s how I do it as well. I make their pumpkin – seitan dish when I make mine, but I don’t season theirs or only put some rat appropriate herbs in theirs.

How did they like it?

You know what, I completely forgot to give it to them :roll: . I always make big batches though and I'll be getting some out of the freezer next week for a noodle dish. I must remember to cut some off for them before I marinade ours.

Return to “Feeding”