Thoughts about the mix. Ok?

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
Eyevie

Thoughts about the mix. Ok?

Post by Eyevie » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Base
Paddy Rice 1000
Red millet 300
Barley 1000
Whole Maize 250
Buckwheat 500
Rice Flakes 100
Brown Rice 300

Proteine
Yellow Egg Biscuit 560

Human Cereals
Spelt Cakes 175
Weetabix 175
Puffed rice (brown) 175
Flaked Barley 200
Cornflakes (only maize) 175
Puffed Buckwheat 50

Seeds/Vegetables/Herbs
Sesame Seed 25
Broccoli Flakes 50
Coconut flakes 30
Linseed 300
Garlic 40
Cashewnuts 100
Seaweed 50

Base 62.11%
Proteine 10.08%
Human Cereals 17.10%
Seeds 10.71%

So what are your thoughts about it?

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Re: Thoughts about the mix. Ok?

Post by Mayamy » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:23 pm

It looks to me like you've tried to do a Shunamite-style mix but have used weight. As the basic info for Shunamite is based on volume I think the nutritional balance in this mix is likely to be off - seeds are fairly high weight for volume, cereals low etc, you can't just interchange the volume/weight but need to actually look at how numbers pan out. Could be wrong as I'm eye-balling it but I'd imagine it could be a bit high in fat and with more egg biscuit than is needed.
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

Eyevie

Post by Eyevie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:29 pm

You mean like scoops insteads of weight?

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:56 pm

Eyevie wrote:You mean like scoops insteads of weight?
Yes, the Shunamite diet is done by volume (using scoops) rather than by weight.

I do my mix by weight so I threw your numbers into my spreadsheet to get a rough idea of what the macronutrient balance would be like. (Suddenly my hoarding of macronutrient data for a wide variety of ingredients has been vindicated! :P ) Unfortunately I can't find any nutrition information for the egg biscuit so I had to leave it out. Without the egg biscuit, the mix is roughly 10-11% protein and 5-6% fat; the egg biscuit should increase both, so I'd remove some of the fat from the mix. Perhaps halve all the high-fat ingredients (the cashews, the seeds, and the coconut – dried coconut is 60% fat!), and maybe don't add so much egg biscuit either, depending on exactly what's in it.

One thing that really jumps out at me about your mix is the heavy reliance on barley and rice: half the mix is comprised of those two grains in one form or another. They're both good grains, but they're shouldering a big burden. If possible I'd shift some of the load onto other grains, perhaps corn (cheap, kidney-friendly, and generally well-liked).
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA28).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth) the big lump, Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Eyevie

Post by Eyevie » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:47 pm

Yes I needed kidney friendly and because Weetabix wasn't an option anymore. I left the cashews out of it.

And the cornflakes are 100 corn and I have corn in the base. I could put more barley in it?

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Perhaps I should have been clearer; I meant to suggest that you could put more corn in the mix, replacing some of the barley and rice. I can see that there is corn in the mix; there just isn't all that much, whereas there's a lot of rice and quite a lot of barley too.

The above recipe, minus the cashew nuts, makes 5455g of mix. Of that, 1200g (22%) is barley and 1575g (29%) is rice. Comparatively, only 425g (8%) is corn. (Similarly, 550g (10%) is buckwheat; 300g (5%) is red millet; and 350g (6%) are wheat and spelt – I tend to think of the Triticum species as a group.)

While the mix is heavily dominated by rice at 29%, barley is a not far off at 22%, so while replacing some of the rice with barley would lead to a slightly more rounded mix, it wouldn't be more rounded by much. On the other hand, with relatively little corn to begin with, swapping some of the rice and barley for more corn would make a much bigger difference. Even better would be to swap in more of the other grains as well, like the millet and buckwheat; sorghum (aka dari/milo/juwar) is also low phosphorus so would be a good addition if you can get it.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA28).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth) the big lump, Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Eyevie

Post by Eyevie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:29 pm

So i bought some new stuff and new mix. I tryed to balance it more, so is this the right direction or ok?

Base
Red millet 3 scoops
Barley 7 scoops
Whole Maize 1 scoops
Buckwheat 5 scoops
Brown Rice 3 scoops

Proteine
Yellow Egg Biscuit 3 scoops

Human Cereals
Puffed Buckwheat 1 scoop
Rice Cakes 0.5 scoop
Puffed rice (brown) 0.5 scoop
Cornflakes (only maize) 3 scoops
Puffed Buckwheat 1 scoop

Fruits/Seeds/Vegetables
Broccoli Flakes/Seaweed 0.5 scoop
Coconut flakes 0.5 scoop
Linseed 1 scoop
Garlic 0.5 scoop
Pumpkin Seeds 1 scoop
Dandelion root/Mixed herbs 0.5 scoop

Base 59.38%
Proteine 9.38%
Human Cereals 18.75%
Seeds 12.50%

Eyevie

Post by Eyevie » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:26 am

Or should i add more maize to the base mix?

Return to “Feeding”