What to feed a rat with a mammary tumor?

Topics on mixes, tailored diets, foods, supplements, methods, and problem eaters
Widdershins

What to feed a rat with a mammary tumor?

Post by Widdershins » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:12 pm

Last night I was holding one of my females and noticed a small lump, detached from her body, just under her front leg. Of course I kind of freaked out, thinking she had cancer. After some research, I'm 99% sure it's a benign mammary tumor. I made a vet appointment, just to make sure everything is okay.

She's a little older than a year and a half, just around the time (as I've read) that females develop tumors.

Does anyone have some suggestions as to what to feed her? Foods that will help slow down the growth? I have access to a big variety of herbs (dried and fresh), should I put anything in her water as well?

Thanks!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: What to feed a rat with a mammary tumor?

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 am

I don't think food will have any effect now that she has the lump, but once it's removed, try to keep her weight down to reduce the chance of another one occurring. If you have an experienced vet then you might want to also have her spayed at the same time to reduce hormone related growths.

If you can't have the operation done, or not for some time, then galastop can be given to slow down the growth of the lump if it is hormone driven.

Widdershins

Re: What to feed a rat with a mammary tumor?

Post by Widdershins » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:51 pm

cyber ratty wrote:I don't think food will have any effect now that she has the lump, but once it's removed, try to keep her weight down to reduce the chance of another one occurring. If you have an experienced vet then you might want to also have her spayed at the same time to reduce hormone related growths.

If you can't have the operation done, or not for some time, then galastop can be given to slow down the growth of the lump if it is hormone driven.

Thanks! I don't think I will be able to have the operation done, but I'll bring it up with the vet when I see her. I'll look into finding galastop.

Return to “Feeding”