Bedding help

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
CloudyOrion

Bedding help

Post by CloudyOrion » Fri May 10, 2019 8:01 am

Hey!

After recently returning to the rat world after a couple of years, I’ve been using up the rest of a bale of auboise that’s admittedly pretty old. I’ve had to give up on the last tray-ful of substrate because it’s just far too dusty and one of my boys has been a little sneezy with it anyway.

Is it worth getting another bale of this? Was it just dusty and affecting a boy because of its age? Or should I use another type of bedding? (Rant incoming) I’ve tried cardboard-based substrates before and I hate them, they just result in soggy and smelly bits of cardboard that don’t absorb any smell. I wouldn’t put a sheet of cardboard in the bottom of their cage and that stuff isn’t any different lol.

Any suggestions for other substrates from ratrations? Thanks!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Bedding help

Post by cyber ratty » Fri May 10, 2019 9:16 am

I find Aubiose makes me cough, so I wouldn't recommend another bale - the best option from RR would be a mix of bedmax and greenmile, having both shavings and cardboard works really well. Steer clear of softacard though, if you think cardboard gets soggy, then softacard is even worse, and it gets very dusty.

However, if you want just one bale to store, I recommend buying megaspread from Arley Moss - it's large soft shaving flakes which don't smell of wood at all, and although the total cost with postage is about £15 the bale is huge and will last ages. Bedmax shavings are quite coarse in comparison.

CloudyOrion

Re: Bedding help

Post by CloudyOrion » Fri May 10, 2019 8:58 pm

These bales are so big (which is great for value!) that I definitely tend to struggle with one of them, so two is out of the question haha. Thanks so much for the recc, I’m going to check that one out :D

Return to “Habitat”