Need some ideas for a shelf free cage

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
JeanneNicole

Need some ideas for a shelf free cage

Post by JeanneNicole » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:10 pm

My Daughters rats (well to be precise one rat!) who is toilet trained most of the time, likes to pee on the plastic shelves in the cage, so after reading some helpful posts on here we have removed them. They can both access everything in the cage (pictures shown below), and I am about to order a fleece shelf hanger, a cube hammock and a cosy tough tube from ratRations and we have a rope scramble net that just needs washing as he decided to pee in it while sleeping!(Any advice how best to wash it will be gratefully received)

The only thing is that I'm not sure if we need to put anything extra in for them now it has no shelves or that the items I am about to order are going to be okay?

Many thanks, Jeanne

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Need some ideas for a shelf free cage

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:39 pm

I would add some ropes crisscrossing the cage at various heights, and a basket or two (pound shops sell some good ones) which you could fill with substrate and bedding.

I can only spot one rat in those picture - does he have a companion? Rats should ideally live in groups of 3 or more, but definitely not on their own. ;)

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:56 pm

No he has a brother Euan, my husband didn't want any rats so two was the maximum he would agree to otherwise it would have definitely been more. I have seen the ropes that attach to the cages at ratRations. Would you get different lengths to criss cross or the same and would you just attach the baskets with cable ties? Sorry for so many questions, just want to get it right.

ScissorCrow

Post by ScissorCrow » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:34 pm

You could try ledges/perches, you mention you are buying from rat rations, they have a page for them here.

I also use the 'nobbly gnawer' from Pets at Home.

If you find you're spending a lot of money doing up your rats abode there are some free/cheap home made ideas around the forum such as bed sheet ropes, pringle tubes, perches from bottles, and asking for the inside of carpet tubes from your local carpet shop.

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:54 pm

That's great, many thanks

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:26 am

JeanneNicole wrote:Would you get different lengths to criss cross or the same and would you just attach the baskets with cable ties? Sorry for so many questions, just want to get it right.
These clips are great for attaching all sorts of things in the cage, and much easier to undo than cable ties ;)

Lots of things can be plaited into ropes, I like using washing line rope from cheap shops, and you can either do single lengths, or if you get something long (like these) then you can zig zag it.

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:47 am

That's great will get the clips with my order. How do you wash your ropes?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:09 pm

I just give them a scrub in mild washing up water and hang them to dry, unless they are fabric, in which case they go in the washing machine with the hammocks.

JeanneNicole

Post by JeanneNicole » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:41 pm

Thank you so much for all your help. Ropes and hammocks plus a few other things that just fell into my basket should arrive tomorrow thanks to the lovely people at ratRations xx

Return to “Habitat”