Need help choosing a cage!

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
molluscbaby

Need help choosing a cage!

Post by molluscbaby » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi all, sorry to make yet another of these threads.

I just can't make my mind up about what cage to get. I'm planning on getting either 2 or 3 male rats, and can't choose between the furet plus, freddy 2 and the furet xl. I don't have a great deal of space, so don't want to get one that's much bigger than I really need. Also, I'm aware that male rats need more floor space than females.

Sooo, which would you recommend?

squeakrat

Re: Need help choosing a cage!

Post by squeakrat » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:36 pm

The Furet XL takes up a lot of floor space, and is bigger than you'd really need for 2-3 rats. As space is a consideration, I wouldn't go for the XL.

Personally I think the Furet Plus is a little on the small size for a permanent cage, so I'd go for the Freddy 2 which is slightly bigger.

Also, if you're undecided between 2 or 3 rats, I'd go for 3 - that way you won't suddenly be left with a lone rat if you lose one unexpectedly. Plus I think a little group is more interesting to watch the different interactions compared to a pair.
Jenny x
:girly: Dory, Silvermist, Pocket :dumbogirly: Belle
:rattyrainbow: Poppy, Tarka, Jasmine, Flora, Penny, Lyra, Cassandra, Luna, Wren, Merryweather, Harper, Izzy, Tigger, Squeak, Bandit, Vandal :rattyrainbow:

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:57 am

squeakrat wrote:The Furet XL takes up a lot of floor space, and is bigger than you'd really need for 2-3 rats. As space is a consideration, I wouldn't go for the XL.

Personally I think the Furet Plus is a little on the small size for a permanent cage, so I'd go for the Freddy 2 which is slightly bigger.

Also, if you're undecided between 2 or 3 rats, I'd go for 3 - that way you won't suddenly be left with a lone rat if you lose one unexpectedly. Plus I think a little group is more interesting to watch the different interactions compared to a pair.
Ditto
My current gang :hearts: Drax, Groot, Star-lord, Yondu
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:20 am

squeakrat wrote:Personally I think the Furet Plus is a little on the small size for a permanent cage, so I'd go for the Freddy 2 which is slightly bigger.
Actually the current furet plus is a little bigger than a freddy 2, but I agree that it's not big enough, so nor is the freddy 2. However, a freddy max is fine for 3 bucks, so I would recommend that one.

squeakrat

Post by squeakrat » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:34 pm

I think I must have been thinking of the Freddy Max. Confusing!
Jenny x
:girly: Dory, Silvermist, Pocket :dumbogirly: Belle
:rattyrainbow: Poppy, Tarka, Jasmine, Flora, Penny, Lyra, Cassandra, Luna, Wren, Merryweather, Harper, Izzy, Tigger, Squeak, Bandit, Vandal :rattyrainbow:

molluscbaby

Post by molluscbaby » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:48 pm

I thought the freddy 2 and the freddy max were the same thing? In any case, this is the one I'm talking about: http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/ ... erret-cage

And you've convinced me to get three :)

shiprat

Post by shiprat » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:01 pm

That's a Freddy 2 Max! :lol:
It's taller than the Freddy 2 which is only 60cm tall. Definitely my recommendation of the options you're considering.
Rat Out of Hell Rescue.

Return to “Habitat”