SRS modifications

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

SRS modifications

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:37 pm

I'm contemplating how best to make use of another SRS cage...

Is it possible to remove the lower shelf section from an SRS but still keep the wheels?

Also - is half an SRS strong enough to support a full explorer on top of it?

Maidenhair Moxie

Re: SRS modifications

Post by Maidenhair Moxie » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:36 pm

Im sorry i dont have an srs to comment on how it goes together or come apart but it might be better to put the srs on top of the Explorer because of the weight
Maidenhair Rattery - Breeding for health & Longevity on the south coast with agouti & black, hairless & smooth, marked varieties.

Love Hairless Rats ?

Feline

Post by Feline » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:15 am

Looking at my SRS you could remove the bottom shelf= however it will make the structure at the bottom a bit less strong. That could turn out to be an issue if you stacked another heavy cage onto I guess. The steel tubing of the SRS is pretty robust though.
If I was going to remove the shelf myself I would consider bolting a rod of the same width across the back between the legs where the shelf would have gone to give it more solid stability. Even a rod of wood would do the trick.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:24 am

I was wanting to remove the whole of the shelf section, and have the wheels attach to the bottom of the cage itself - but having peered closely, I'm concerned that the wheels wouldn't fit directly into the cage frame.

As it happens, I've now discovered that I've got room to turn my SRSs into triples without needing to lower their height after all, so that solves my problem.

I'd still be interested to know if it is possible though. All the examples in the show your set up section have the shelfless SRSs sitting flat on the floor without wheels, and I wasn't sure if that's by choice or because the wheels wouldn't fit.

Feline

Post by Feline » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:19 pm

cyber ratty wrote:I was wanting to remove the whole of the shelf section, and have the wheels attach to the bottom of the cage itself - but having peered closely, I'm concerned that the wheels wouldn't fit directly into the cage frame.

As it happens, I've now discovered that I've got room to turn my SRSs into triples without needing to lower their height after all, so that solves my problem.

I'd still be interested to know if it is possible though. All the examples in the show your set up section have the shelfless SRSs sitting flat on the floor without wheels, and I wasn't sure if that's by choice or because the wheels wouldn't fit.
Oh, OK I see what you mean. The wheels screw into threaded bits in the end of the lower shelf- the bottom of the cage without the shelf section does not have these threads so the wheels would not screw on without some modification. In theory you could stick them in with strong resin, but that would be permanent so perhaps not such a greta idea.

Return to “Habitat”