Hay

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Akitu30

Hay

Post by Akitu30 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 am

I thought of offering the boys some hay for enrichment. I had a look on Ratrations and found some on there. Does anyone know if they are any good?

http://www.ratrations.com/burgess-excel ... -1761.html

http://www.ratrations.com/timothy-hay-w ... -1348.html

http://www.ratrations.com/timothy-hay-w ... -1349.html
Owned by Teddy, Diego, Peanut, Finn, George, Quincey, Misha and Malik

acapae_wolf

Re: Hay

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:15 pm

Since most rats don't consume hay for food and it's just an enrichment nesting thing I usually get plain meadow hay without named flowers added as it's cheaper. But those can be nice options too, especially since enrichment options that focus on smells are often overlooked (given as how we have pathetic noses compared to rats) :)
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Akitu30

Post by Akitu30 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:18 pm

Thanks Beri. I've used some hay a while ago and they loved sleeping on it. I assume as they all state that they are dust extracted that they should be ok for them. I've just never used Burgess hay and wasn't sure what the quality would be like.
Owned by Teddy, Diego, Peanut, Finn, George, Quincey, Misha and Malik

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:31 pm

Burgess is good quality hay :)
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

izzerie
Admin Aide

Post by izzerie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:28 am

This has reminded me to try some hay with my boys again. I had to stop for a while because I had a rat who appeared allergic to it (she was very delicate respiratory wise though, so it might just have been that) and I keep forgetting to buy some more now she's not with us. That and the mice loved it as well!
Slave to: Hero, Inch, Arthur, Sullivan, Woody, Hercules, Yorke, Jefferson & Valentine; Mavis, Bliss, Florence, Venus, Harriet, Summer & Grace.

Bramble's Fund- raising funds to help UK rat rescues
Tales Of A Fatigued, Wobbly Hippo- being open about living with chronic illness

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:18 pm

I know you weren't considering it given the RR links, but for anyone else I don't recommend dustfreehay.co.uk - massive marketing flaw and I'm currently sat here trying not to have an asthma attack. The dust levels are on par with the really poor quality hays used for cattle

Return to “Habitat”