Burrow system for rats

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Akitu30

Burrow system for rats

Post by Akitu30 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:17 am

I know rats love to dig and build burrow systems in the wild. Mine certainly love to dig through their substrate or coconut soil. I keep thinking that they would probably enjoy building burrows if given the opportunity in their free range area. What substrate would be ideal for that to prevent any tunnels from collapsing? Has anyone ever done anything like that? Would ammonia build up be a problem? Any other reasons why it might be a bad idea?
Owned by Teddy, Diego, Peanut, Finn, George, Quincey, Misha and Malik

ScissorCrow

Re: Burrow system for rats

Post by ScissorCrow » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:12 pm

I know this isn't a tunnel system, but I remembered seeing this a while ago and this post reminded me to share it

Link to an image sharing site with a series of images showing two CN cages joined by a suspended dig box

I found this site that gives a description of a dig box and they refer to a study by Boice (1977) who "found that a mixture of 1/3 humus soil, 1/3 clay soil, and 1/3 sand encouraged burrowing but prevented the collapse or excessive drying of the tunnel walls." when it was dampened every other day.

Akitu30

Post by Akitu30 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks a lot. I'll have a look through that page. I think my biggest worry would be potential mould if the soil has to stay damp.
Owned by Teddy, Diego, Peanut, Finn, George, Quincey, Misha and Malik

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:19 pm

SargentEllie had a 3ft tank with compost in it as a free range activity for a while, and there was a bit of a tunnel thing going on. The trick was to not make it moist. It had been going a fair while when I visited, but I don't know about the total amount of time before it had to be changed. There were also some of the grow-you-own herbs stuck in it: http://ratvarieties.com/wp-content/uplo ... 707905.jpg
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Return to “Habitat”