Thinking of getting SRS- should I go XL?

Topics on cages, accessories, layouts, free ranging, and enrichment
Feline

Thinking of getting SRS- should I go XL?

Post by Feline » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi :smile:

I'm wanting to spoil my new rats and am finding that my current setup has too small a door for rearranging things and getting the rats themselves out (one of my new baby boys is shy). I also would like something a bit easier to clean.

So it must have fully opening doors for access, and a nice big floor area.
I want to get something with horizontal bars on at least 2 faces so they can climb.
The Petplanet version looks good value except for its bars being vertical :x http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp? ... f_id=68616

Am I going a bit far getting a SRS XL? (I have 3 male rats currently but one is old and not well so I expect I will be down to 2 fairly soon).
Are there any pros and cons that are different between the 2 SRS models other than size?
I don't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong thing when spending this amount of dosh :lol:

I will be modifying whatever I get with some perspex shields on the outside of the lower part so my dog can't get to their tails- I don't 100% trust him!
They seem very unaware when their tails are totally hanging out :lol:

Feline

Re: Thinking of getting SRS- should I go XL?

Post by Feline » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Anyone? :love:

I've had a good look through threads on here about cages- and think my choice is pretty much narrowed down to the SRS, SRS XL and the Critter Nation. Budget isn't my main priority- I would rather spend more once than buy something and then a few months down the road want something different. I want the rat cage to end all rat cages :lol:

ScissorCrow

Post by ScissorCrow » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:07 am

I can't help you make a decision about which of those cages to go for, but don't worry about the vertical bars hindering climbing. If your boys are used to climbing they will probably be able to climb the vertical ones just as easily.

20cm difference doesn't sound like a lot, but it actually adds a lot of volume overall, I often wish I had just a little extra cage length when hanging ropes, so I'd go bigger.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:01 am

I'm not sure whether they've corrected it yet, but the SRS XL initially had the retaining panel attached to the doors so that substrate would fall out when they were opened ( :roll: ). It also lacks the useful shelf underneath.

I would go for the standard SRS. :luck:

Feline

Post by Feline » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:52 pm

ScissorCrow wrote:I can't help you make a decision about which of those cages to go for, but don't worry about the vertical bars hindering climbing. If your boys are used to climbing they will probably be able to climb the vertical ones just as easily.

20cm difference doesn't sound like a lot, but it actually adds a lot of volume overall, I often wish I had just a little extra cage length when hanging ropes, so I'd go bigger.
Thanks for that info- interesting that the bar direction might not be as much of a big deal as I thought it could be :)

Feline

Post by Feline » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:55 pm

cyber ratty wrote:I'm not sure whether they've corrected it yet, but the SRS XL initially had the retaining panel attached to the doors so that substrate would fall out when they were opened ( :roll: ). It also lacks the useful shelf underneath.

I would go for the standard SRS. :luck:
Do you mean the retaining panel on the standard SRS is not on the door but inside?

Many thanks for this info- very useful :)
I wish the standard SRS was not navy blue- it doesn't really go with my colour scheme :lol:
The shelf would be useful though.

I can see I might end up making a perspex tray for it like many people on here have done- I have some proper industrial strength solvent weld glue I could use to make one 8-)

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:18 am

Feline wrote:Do you mean the retaining panel on the standard SRS is not on the door but inside?
Yes. It's pointless having on the door itself.

RedFraggle

Post by RedFraggle » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:42 am

I think the SRS is too big for a pair but I may be alone in that. I keep two separate groups in my SRS a pair and a trio.
I would worry about them becoming territorial if a pair had the whole thing.
Slave to: Rescue boys Howard, Archie Broadstripe, Ray Shortstripe, Norman Wonkystripe, Albert, Bisley and Walter
Too many on the bridge to list.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:02 pm

I've had a pair in my SRS and not had any problems. I'm not an expert, but I think with a well bonded pair/group and a well laid out cage, it's hard to go too big; after all, a wild rat's territory, even in dense urban environments, cannot possibly be as small as even the largest cage...

If you're getting/making a separate cage tray, then the panels being attached to the doors of the XL won't be a problem. (And getting/making a separate cage tray is something a lot of SRS owners do, since even with the panels attached to the cage itself, there are still gaps where substrate can fall out. And the trays are made of plastic, so if you have any particularly enthusiastic chewers, you might need to replace them anyway.) If I had the space I'd want the XL, though I would miss the shelf underneath.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:13 pm

RedFraggle wrote:I think the SRS is too big for a pair but I may be alone in that. I keep two separate groups in my SRS a pair and a trio.
I would worry about them becoming territorial if a pair had the whole thing.
If a pair were to get territorial, then they'd be opting to live on their own which is completely contrary to their nature. Plus, if the cage is opened up (i.e. by removing the middle floor), then you get one fantastic big space rather than two areas which a larger group might split themselves between. I've never had groups of rats split themselves up though, so it could just be a theoretical issue.

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:25 pm

Between the two, I think I'd go for the SRS over the XL. I find the doors can make layouts awkward enough (I usually leave myself with one door per half that opens), let alone by the time the doors are even wider. An SRS can work fine for a small group of rats as long as they're a well settled group - I had a pair of girls living in one for a good while - otherwise it's easy enough to cut down to just using half and having the other bit for storage if need be!
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

Rhian33
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Rhian33 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Before I made my double srs I did consider the xl but decided against it as i like to have deep custom metal trays. We figured the trays would be really heavy and cumbersome as it's 20 cm wider and 4.5cm deeper.

I think the normal srs is a nice size for small to medium sized group, I don't see the need for the xl
Angharad, Barb, Bella, Carys, Demerara, Ida, Nancy, Sasha, Sinead, Siobhan, Spice, Sugar, Veronica :smileyrat:
53 gone but not forgotten :rainbow:

Feline

Post by Feline » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks very much everyone :D
I have ordered a standard size SRS.
I think the shelf ended up being the main factor- and I can spend the £50 difference on more shelves, hammocks and accessories for them :lol:

Interesting comments about 2 being a small group. I might consider adding some more rats to make sure I am using the space well, what a fantastic excuse :lol:
I won't do that while poor old Kevin is still alive as I see him with a look on his face like an old guy rolling his eyes at the yoof of today from time to time- I don't think he would appreciate living with more than 2 young reprobates in his current weakened state. He nearly fell from his hammock to the bottom of the cage earlier. I think the SRS will help him get around a bit easier- I will leave the shelves in for him to begin with and consider opening it all up when he isn't around any more. JarJar and Yoda are about 13 weeks old now, so hopefully will accept some new friends at some point. They love each other and both love Kevin :hearts:

Anne

Post by Anne » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:38 pm

I have an srs and over the years I've had various group numbers in it due to ages but probably no more than 7 - mainly 4/5 living as one group. I've been down to just the pair now since October and it's been fine though I'm planning to intro shortly so I'll then have 4 :)

Edit -
Initially though I chose it as its all metal as I have sighthounds. But I love the access. It's a good cage. I had deep metal trays made for mine too ( from John Hopewell)
: Anne :

Feline

Post by Feline » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:07 am

Thanks, I might look into getting some trays from him- I bought a giant degu cage from him for my 'work degus' a couple of years back. It's a very nice cage!

Return to “Habitat”